News about Sal, Prayers are needed

Started by Dominick, September 11, 2020, 12:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Cathy,

I never met the man, but here I am, choked up nonetheless. It is obvious by the posts here that he was loved by all. I came to appreciate him for his generosity to the members here and his skills which he openly shared. I have a reel which I got working thanks to a part he gifted me. It now holds sentimental value.

So, so sorry for your loss. Prayers for your comforting.

Nelz

oc1

This is crushing.  A word that has already popped up several times is innovator.  Sal will always be remembered and memorialized here.
-steve

scrinch

So sad to hear. What a fine man! But I'm glad that Sal's suffering is over, and the family's healing can begin after this long ordeal.

Newell Nut

Cathy,
I am so sorry for your loss. Sal was a great friend to us all that tinkered with reels. I guess the last reel that Sal was able to build shortly before he had to go to the hospital was the 10/0 that he wanted me to use for Goliath Groupers which are very large fish. That reel shall be on my boat every time it goes to sea. I built a beauty of a rod just for that reel and Sal will be fishing with me in spirit as long as I have a boat.

Sal will be missed but never forgotten.

Sincerely,
Dwight Webb

pjstevko

May Sal rest in peace with tight lines and screaming drags!

He'll be missed by all here and everyone's life he's been a part of!!!!

(I suggest as a celebration of life we plan a yearly fishing trip in his honor)

Penn Chronology

Very sad to hear this. Sal was very special, not only in the fishing world but in every world he touched. My condolences to his family.

the rockfish ninja

Cathy, It took a great amount of strength for you to keep us up on Sal's battle thru all this, and even more to come back and give us this news a day after his passing. Condolences and deep respect for your inner strength thru all this.

Since making friends with Alan years ago I then got to know some people here in the forum like Wayne & Dominic, and some online folks like Sal & others. This forum has always floored me at the level of generosity, positivity and compassion of a bunch of fishing enthusiasts.

All I can say is this a high quality forum, probably the most positive & respective I've ever been involved with, full of quality people & friends.

Know that your husband was deeply respected, appreciated, and loved.

RIP
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

conchydong

Cathy and family, I am sorry for your loss. It is really all of our loss. I never met him in person but his generosity expressed on this forum showed what a kind and selfless person he was. May he rest in peace. It is a sad day for all of us. God Bless you all.

Scott

mhc

Thank you Cathy, please accept my condolences

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Words words word were are they when we need them, thank you so much Cathy, for forwarding this sad news, to us so soon after Sals passing, in a very trying time for you, Sal was a really nice man, & as they say, behind every good man, there is a very good lady, Pat & I wish you Cathy & family, much good health & success in the future, thank you, Pat & Don.
Don, or donnyboat

biggiesmalls

I am so sorry for your loss, Cathy. Sal will be greatly missed, he was a great asset to the community here and above all a great guy. May he rest in peace

thorhammer

I have words, but it's going to be a bit before I can compose them. For now, I will say that I was out fishing striper schools on the surface with poppers this evening using the trusty 550SS, one of Sal's favorite series of reels. Lots of misses the last few days, but today we put them in the cooler. When I got back on the hill, Nick had texted me the me the sad news. I'm going to go down knowing he was there with us.

John

PacRat

Dear Cathy,
I'm at a loss for words so I'm  borrowing a few from the Ohana...Legend, mentor, rare breed, innovator, wizard, dear friend, pioneer, innovator, solid, remarkable,  generous beyond imagining, gifted, talented, courageous,..."It's amazing to me how much of an impact a single man can have around the world"
Thank you for sharing your beloved Sal with us. I'm certain we will all think of Alto Mare when line is screaming off our reel and we are able to land the catch of a lifetime because Sal shared his secrets and knowledge with us. Fishing is a passion that we all share and Sal was so generous with what he knew about building better reels. His efforts and tutorials are what led me to the Ohana.
We will miss Sal deeply
Mike

Ron Jones

To ALL Who Have Seen These Presence, Greetings!
Know ye, that today we send our shipmate and brother Across the Bar!
All Ye who hold Sal Ciarlante as brother and shipmate:
STAND TALL AND RAISE YOUR CHARGER, a shipmate is crossing the bar.

Sunset and evening star
   And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
   When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
   Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
   Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
   And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
   When I embark;

For though from out our bourne of Time and Place
   The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
   When I have crossed the bar.

Until we meet you across the bar to meet the Pilot,
Fair Winds and Following Seas, you are the BEST!!

FTC (SS) Jones, Ronald L US Navy (Retired)
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Cathy, the Maglione family asked me to send you and your family their deepest condolences.