News about Sal, Prayers are needed

Started by Dominick, September 11, 2020, 12:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Nice looking garden,,,,,sal would be proud,,,,,,,,, ;D

Shark Hunter

Yes he would! ;D
I also buy plants Cathy. Sal will always be in my memory when they are planted.
Life is Good!

Rancanfish

I missed seeing this somehow.  Hi Mrs. C.  I bought some plants too and planted them a couple of weeks ago.  Put cages around them and have been watering them every couple of days.  They finally established and are starting to grow.

I will likely be moved before they ripen but wanted the new homeowners to enjoy them,  along with the grapes, figs and apples.

Thanks for touching base.  We all wonder what you are up to.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Cathy Ciarlante

Oh, I love seeing and hearing about everyone's gardens! Thank you all, so much, for the continued support, kind words and good wishes!

I do find it comforting to spend time tending to this little one, that I created. I feel Sal's presence (and a little bit of constructive criticism...once I thought I heard him chuckle at my attempts to drive a stake into dirt that was harder than cement  ;D) and I am certain that he would never want to see that garden empty!

I did want to share a story that I thought the fine folks on this site would appreciate. I hope you don't mind!

So, when Sal and I left for the hospital, way back on August 9, 2020, there was not even one single thought about the fact that it would be the last time he would be in his loving home. Not one! I was taking him to the hospital because he was running a temperature above the number that we lived by, while he was in chemotherapy treatment. We had to do this, twice prior, and so although I was concerned (by that time I had spent a year of nothing but concern, since his diagnosis) I wasn't super worried that this would materialize into anything more critical.

Anyway, packages started to arrive at the house and so I told Sal that I was just moving them to a location (far from Maggie's reach) for when he came  home. After a few weeks, I bought the largest covered container that Costco sells, and started putting the packages in there. I figured it would be easy for Sal to have everything in one place, when he was ready. Needless to say, the container filled and then it just sat, like so many other things (and heartbroken people) in this house, waiting.

So, I have not had the emotional strength (or time) to open that container to inspect what might be in there. Honestly, I haven't taken any of the stuff from Sal's hospital room out of my car yet. I suppose it's just easier to NOT feel the finality of some things, so I have just left them, for the time being. A few days ago, I was cleaning the back room and I decided to lift the lid of the container and I took out just the smallest package, from the top. I opened it and, what did I find? A headgear tool that provides the user the ability to magnify at multiple strengths, provides 2 lights for the work at hand and, since it goes around the head, provides a hands-free experience! All the best for him to work on fishing reels, unencumbered! I just stood there, closed my eyes, and pictured him sitting in his workspace, headgear in place, doing what he loved most! I am not sure how long I stood there. I couldn't open any more but I was comforted, ever so slightly, by the thought that my husband lived every day with hope!

I hope that you all have a really wonderful summertime. It's quite hot in the Philly area, this weekend! Sal would have said that the tomato plants will be happy today!

All my very best,
Cathy (and family)

Donnyboat

Thanks Cathy, I may have the same head gear or very similar, Pat & I hope your garden is successful, we are wishing you good health, and stay safe from the covid, by the way it is winter in Australia, over the West here, we dont get many days under 12 C cheers Pat & Don.
Don, or donnyboat

broadway

Thanks for bringing Sal back for just a moment for us, Cathy. He lives in our hearts and minds, like Tom says, " We think of him daily." 
I, too, can picture him at his work station with the head gear on working on one of his favorite Penn reels or doing some R&D for A.C. and the rest of us.
My best to  you, the family, and those tomato plants;)
Stay well, Cathy
Dom

Shark Hunter

Great Story Cathy! ;D
He was a Great Man. There won't be a Reel I touch without thinking of Him.
All the Best,
Daron
Life is Good!

redsetta

Thanks Cathy.
As Dom said, appreciate you bringing Sal back to us for just a moment.
Best wishes to all the Ciarlantes.
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

johndtuttle

Sal is not gone and will never be forgotten.

He lives in the hearts of his friends and family and the love and generosity he shared will be shared by us to others all our days.

And on and on, never ending.

Sorrow surely for his loss, but dwell on the goodness and character shared with others for it will endure.

Save some fish for us, up there, Sal. Where the fish pull against a Tank making such sweet music.

And a sustaining meal filled with the spirit of life shared with the best of friends goes on and on at sunset when we have returned to shore and family.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

X2... nice words for our pal, Sal!
We love ya Sal
Dom

Benni3

Thinking of sal,,,,,last year he sent a reel to me and now i would like to send something to uncle sal

Benni3

Penn Chronology

A person like Sal leaves a mark with everyone he touches. I never had the pleasure of meeting Sal face to face but we communicated all the time. Yesterday I started working on a reel that I built up from parts a couple of years ago. I built the reel and during the process posted a thread about it here. There were many people that helped with the build of this special reel, so I kept a list. Looking over the list I saw Sal's name. He sent me a stainless steel gearset and some other parts (at no charge). The reel came out beautiful thanks to all the help I received here from the members and Sal. Recently, I have found some upgraded parts, so I tore the reel down again and "Tanked it Out, "A La Sal" even further. He would have like what I did, so if I can find that old thread, I will add to it.

I find it hard to imagine the level of loss a person like Sal leaves behind. I know he brought so much to the people here and to his family. We all lost profoundly, but we also gained profoundly by what he brought here over the years. Sal's marks are everywhere. He will not be forgotten.

broadway

You did a great job with that reel, and have given much of yourself to the "Penn Community."
Thank you, Mike!
Best to you and yours,
Dom