Penn 704 spool troubles

Started by The-Surfisher, September 11, 2020, 10:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The-Surfisher

Hi everybody.

This is my first post..I have been rebuilding Penn 704's since 1975 and recently i have had to replace the metal "keyed" washers..there are 2 sizes,  57-704 which is the small diameter and 57A-750 which is the large diameter.
no matter where i order from,the washers all have the same diameter-small, they measure around .807-.808...the large diameter washers that i take out are around .822-.823...the reason it makes a difference is because if you use the smaller diameter at the top it will not be held in by the retaining ring,when i remove and replace the spool,the washers and drag just push pass the retainer while the retainer is still in it's position...is anyone else having this problem ?

JasonGotaProblem

Not quite what you're asking but I suspect this will solve your problem and be an upgrade.

https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/UltimateUpgrades/UU-PENN700Z/800Z.aspx
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ReelFishingProblems

I have the same problem, I didn't know there was a different size of metal washers. My 704Z uses Bryan's ultimate upgrade drag stack.

I keep thinking a different shaped retaining clip would keep everything in

Nick

The-Surfisher

Hi

If you look at Mystic's parts list for the drag washers,they will list a keyed washer "small diameter" and another keyed washer as "large diameter" for the 704..the large diameter is about .016 larger and fits under ther retaining ring,if you put the smaller diameter washer last on the stack under the retaining ring,it will not be held in place, in my case it pops out...i have six  704's that have worn out washers...old style that are brass with chrome plating that are in need of replacement,the replacements are stainless steel and all are  small diameter even with different part numbers...frustrating.

foakes

I should have plenty of both sizes of washers.  Have plenty of new old stock Penn spinning parts.

Mystic would be the best bet immediately.

We may not be back to our home for 3-4 more weeks -- and then reels won't be on the top of the agenda for some time after that.

But I would be glad to help as soon as it is possible.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ReelFishingProblems

Fred,

Always the gentleman. We're all still pulling for an early return to an unharmed house for you and your neighbors.

Nick

The-Surfisher

Fred, thanks for the help...i ordered 8 from Mystic both large and small and they turned out to be all the same,so im thinking that wherever they are made,there was a mix up in the manufacturing supply chain..Ereplacement and Ebay have the same issue...all small sized and some of the keyed holes are so small they will not fit on the 704 shaft.whatever you can do now or later would be appreciated greatly,I can use my 650's to fish with until then.

foakes

Glad to help, surf-fisher --

But it will likely be a while before We can get back to the home and shops.

If you call Mystic -- they will help you immediately if you give them the measurements you posted.

Mo, Scott, and the crew are the best.  They will handle the issue with some accurate information and expertise -- no worries.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.