Rod guide question

Started by ReelFishingProblems, September 12, 2020, 04:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Rod guide question

I'm building on a Fenwick 789 fiberglass blank (rated 15-50lb)  I am building it to be an albacore rod for when I move back to the northwest. I got the blank for a great deal.

I am trying to decide what guides to use, but am between Fuji K guides, Alps XN (more expensive then I want) and PacBay DM. For the design of the rod I am looking for chrome/silver guides.

I like the looks of the Alps/PacBay DM but am more comfortable with the quality of the Fuji guides.

I know this has been tossed around a million times, but will I be sorry for going the PacBay route?

Thanks,
Nick

oc1

Get the Fuji if you think that you, or anyone else, will be able to distinguish the two of them by looks or performance.  How are you going to judge the quality?  Does price equal quality?  Does price equal advertising and hype?

I would select based on weight.  Get the heavier of the two for durability and the lighter of the two for balance and comfort.
-steve

ReelFishingProblems

Steve,

I really appreciate your input.

I know guide technology is always evolving, and I wonder if things are really worth the price. I would like to think they are because I have dropped some coin in the past. However if the PacBay guides have the right dimensions and weight and won't crack a ring under typical usage than I may go that route.

Nick

Swami805

I use Fuji and Alps, I like the K series also. Alps XN are pretty reasonably priced less than Fuji anyway. Both add up quick if they're SIC rings or TI frames.  I use Pacbay chrome boat guides if I want really durable guides but they're heavy. Mudhole sells sets of guides, I think their own brand, that are good value for the money.  Lots of good choices these days
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

Fuji #1 Alps #2 You get what you pay for and when the fish are on and your ring pops out of the frame you will wish you went with the higher quality. I've repaired many Pac-bay, American, and house brand guides but only have a couple Fuji failures and both of them were stepped on.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

thrasher

I think you'll be happy with any of the 3 you listed and nice work work so far.

Tiddlerbasher

I'm with Dave Fuji 1st then Alps. If the purse will stretch then Fuji T-KWSG - Titanium or KWAGs. I have only ever had one failure with Fuji rings - and that was on an old carp rod that was being abused at the time.