Penn International 12T drag question

Started by STB, September 20, 2020, 01:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STB

Hi,

I was recently given a Penn International 12T and was wondering how I can possibly get more drag out of it? I saw possibly changing the Belleville washer orientation from(()) to ()() will help increase the drag.  Any other things I can do? I Want to use it for pulling diving plugs for wahoo that range from 30-40lbs in my area.

Thanks!

Bobby

handi2

That would be a blast using that reel for WeeHoo's. I would try taller configuration but use a scale to test the drag. You may lose freespool but for your application it wouldn't matter. You might get 12 lbs of drag.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Here's one of those 'wee-hoos'....
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

& a lil better models...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

SoCalAngler

Cal Sheets does blue printing of the 12's for $75, plus much more if wanted like two speeding them. Just changing the bellevile's won't offer that much more in total drag IMO. Maybe give Cal a call and see what he can do for you. Google Cal's Two Speed for prices and contact info.

alantani

the belleville configuration of "(())" is already stiffer and will give a steeper drag range than "()()".  you might have to go to "))))" to see any more increase.  thicker bellevilles might also be an option.  measure the ones you have and then do a search at mcmaster.com for something thicker. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

you might have to go to "))))" to see any more increase....

Careful with that, though. If we are looking at the reel from the operator's point of view, then the leftmost spring washer will ride on or dig into the spool bearing. So avoiding that will entail ())) or a flat washer inbetween |))))

Really though, messing with the belleville stack often entails a functional compromise somewhere. Seriously consider just getting thicker spring washers as previously mentioned and using the correct stack arrangement.

STB

alantani

yeah, the cupped side needs to go up against the main gear. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jimmer

I had Cal 2 speed a 12T with an open top tiburon frame a few years back and he advised against trying for more than 12lb of drag out of it.. Just my .02 - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

David Hall

for a small fortune Cal can get a lot more than that.  Mine was getting 8lbs of drag at strike.  I sent it to Cal and it came back.
Now I get 22lbs at strike and over 30 at full.  It was a lot more than $75 though. for what I have in the reel money wise, I could have purchased a Makaira 15T and had money leftover.
But I do like it a lot and wouldn't hesitate to use it up to 100# class fish.

Swami805

I had Cal do my 12T before they made 2 speeds, a topless frame and it's money. I use it for 50-60lb since that's what he set it up for. Still using it.
Bang for your buck? That's a tough call these days. There's some great reels for less money than a frame and a trip to Cal
Do what you can with that you have where you are