Spool shaft polishing

Started by DavidH, August 13, 2023, 02:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidH

I see posts where people are polishing the spool shaft for better performance but have yet to see a video on what that means.  Does anyone have a video link on this procedure?  I searched "spool polishing" on this site and still didn't find anything.  Just curious how this is done.

JasonGotaProblem

On a spinner if you polish the spool shaft and inside face of the pinion with chrome polish or another gentle polish it decreases the friction one feels while winding.

On a baitcaster or conventional where the spool is fixed to the shaft then polishing it and the pinion can improve free spool if the two are rubbing.

It's definitely in the "refinement" category of tasks.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Polishing the spool shaft is pretty easy, and a worthwhile fine-tuning.

I just use "0000" steel wool after a thorough cleaning —- rinse —- dry —- oil. 

This part of the spool-shaft burnishing is done by hand —- not by chucking it in a drill.  2 reasons —- we don't want concentric microscopic resistance rings caused by too aggressive burnishing that are perpendicular to the natural up & down cycle of the spool shaft.  Plus, we don't want the Chuck to gouge the spool shaft as it bites in.

However, that is only half of the procedure —-

It is just as important to do the same with the insides of a worm-pinion, or bushing bearings that support the shaft.

This is done easily with a drill, and a smaller drill bit covered in "0000" steel wool.  Rinse, dry, install.

On a spinner, the spool shaft should cycle up and down with "0" resistance. 

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

DavidH

thanks guys!  I appreciate the info.  If you ever video the process, let me know.  I always like to see it done before I try it myself.  Reels aren't cheap.  I recently bought 2 spool assemblies online because I had been waiting years for Shimano to release the parts and ended up finding 2 new ones on Ebay & bought both of them.  The spool shaft on my reel looked like someone had put it in a drill and ran it across sandpaper.  It made a heck of a racket and casted like crap.  I have new bearings, drag washers and the spool assy and will be rebuilding it soon.