220N handle / crank

Started by sandbar, September 23, 2020, 11:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

Am I wasting my time trying to remove the corrosion and pitting here?
Should I just purchase a new handle?

foakes

The metal can be smoothed out somewhat with fine Emory paper starting with about 220 then going to 400 then using "0000" steel wool to finish.

But the pits & pimples will still be there.

You could also durakote or kerakote the crank by using a rougher finish to hide some of the pitting.

New crank would be easiest and the best result.

I do have those.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

Thank You Fred. Still praying for you guys. I sent a donation to your firefighting friend. Its hard to imagine what you guys are going through.

I'd like to get a new handle, a new drag knob and an anti-reverse lever when you get a chance. They all have similar damage. No rush.
The paint is in great shape. I haven't taken it apart yet.

Stay safe.

foakes

It looks like a very nice reel --

We will get it "handled" for you!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.