Help with level wind idler gear

Started by Swami805, September 15, 2020, 06:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Working on another 5000 and can't figure out how to get this gear off. Some have a c clip, some tabs but how does this come off? Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ruffy

Some push down, turn 90 degrees, then pull off. Can only be done once the shaft with gear are out of the reel.

Post up a photo of the idler cog end!

Cheers,
Andrew

Swami805

mhc

Hi Sheridan, there's two ways that I know of to remove the idlers with the collar to hold it in place, both popular. The collar on the gear is designed to push on and click into a groove on the post and spin freely. The first method is to slip a loop of strong braid under the gear so that it is lifting at two points roughly opposite on the gear and pull straight up - it should click off. The second method is to use a sharp blade to cut the collar off and then use a c clip / e clip in the groove to hold it on when you replace it with a gear that doesn't have the collar - like a ball bearing idler, or the old idler after you have cleaned the post etc. I've used both methods and probably favor the 2nd method because I was usually replacing the gear and didn't want to risk pulling the post out. The few times I did pull the gear off was quick and easy and the gear just 'clicked' back on.
There's a few old posts on how to remove the 'click on' idlers like yours.

This post is about a 7000 but the process is the same, https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16908.0

And Ken D (our no longer active ABU expert) makes an appearance in this post by Lunker Larry - Ken mentions pulling the post out towards the bottom of page 1 https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7614.0

Hope that helps
Mike

PS: It's been more than a few years since I've messed around with ABUs but I'm pretty sure the c clip / e clip needed is the same size as the one that holds the handle and sleeve on the gear post.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

Must be a 5000D.  Love the green ones.
-s

tincanary

Here's what I do.  Wrap a loop of 65lb braid around something metal, like a crescent wrench.  Loop the line under the idler gear and make sure the line is 180 degrees apart, then pull straight up.  Most times it pops right off, but once in awhile it'll take moderate effort.  Another thing you can do is cut the collar at the top with a hobby knife.  When you reinstall, simply use a C clip (same size as used to hold the drive shaft/ratchet in place) to secure it.

mhc

Maybe a 'Vantage' Steve - they came in green as well and had domed palming plate - but yes the green ones always appealed to me when I was looking - still regret not buying a green 7500B for what I thought was expensive at the time.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

Put in US cleaner and leave it on :)

Green was always my favorite- have Vantage and D, still hunting C3CT.

Swami805

Thanks. I have a new gear with a bearing so I think I'll cut it off so I don't damage the post.
Yes a 5000D with an ARB and no dog. I bought a group of 3 on fleabay,  black, green and red. This green one is really clean. Was surprised to find a bushing in the handle side of the spool and an empty cavity in the other, that side was only supported by the plastic cog gear. Don't know if they came that way or someone took the bushing out, I'm adding bearings anyway so should be fine.
I haven't tried yet but I have a spare bridge with a dog so I'm thinking of using it if it will fit. It looks like the gear sleeve should work with a dog.
A whole new to me rabbit hole of reels to obsess over, just what I needed, haha

Swami805

Here's a few pictures, I'm changing the drags, adding bearings to the spool and level wind. I have this new handle but it interferes with the drag star, I saw Moe bent the star, I probably go that route

Swami805

My bad, it is a vantage VXL 5000C. I should look before I type

alantani

Quote from: tincanary on September 15, 2020, 01:09:48 PM
Here's what I do.  Wrap a loop of 65lb braid around something metal, like a crescent wrench.  Loop the line under the idler gear and make sure the line is 180 degrees apart, then pull straight up.  Most times it pops right off, but once in awhile it'll take moderate effort.  Another thing you can do is cut the collar at the top with a hobby knife.  When you reinstall, simply use a C clip (same size as used to hold the drive shaft/ratchet in place) to secure it.

this..... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

Hey Sheridan, check around, you should be able to get a bent star to work with that handle. If not...they are easy to bend...just take your time...I do it in a vise. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

tincanary

Quote from: Swami805 on September 15, 2020, 01:30:36 PM
Here's a few pictures, I'm changing the drags, adding bearings to the spool and level wind. I have this new handle but it interferes with the drag star, I saw Moe bent the star, I probably go that route

Honestly, the reel will be plenty good with a bushing level wind and idler gear.  If you have a Dremel, use some metal polishing paste and polish the worm gear end, idler gear post, brake drum, and the axle end where the spool pinion rides, then give each of those spots a drop of TSI 321.  It'll move almost as good as it would with bearings.

Here's a 4500 I did last year, the only bearings are in the spool.  

mo65

Great work Tincanary! I've never gotten one to spin that free...I would prolly birdnest that dude. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~