Low Gear RatioConversion for a Fathom FTH15

Started by Keta, December 03, 2021, 04:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Does Penn make low ratio gears (4.8:1) for the Fathom star drag (FTH15) reel?   I can find them for the TRQ reels are they interchangeable?

4.8:1 TRQ Main Gear
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/5-TRQ40.aspx

4.8:1 TRQ Pinion Gear
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/13-TRQ40.aspx
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Gen 1.  I forgot about this post.  The gears are the same as FTH 25N gears and I had a Pro Chalanger set.  Mystic also has them but no longer as a set.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

Enjoy your conversion.

4.8:1 is, IMHO, a bit high for any "power" reel but that's the way things go with current production star drags.

Keta

Mark Twain

Tunanorth

Sorry for the delay!
Correct that on the "gen1" star drags, only Pro-Challenger makes the 4.8-1 gears.
However, I did ask the engineer way back at ICAST, and on the "gen2" [non-levelwind] star drags, the 4.8-1 gears out of the "P" models [25N, 30, 40], will in fact fit the smaller models.
Not sure what the IPT would be, probably in the 24-25 IPT range.

BTW, sad that I got put in Covid Jail, and did not get to see Alan at the ISE show in Sacramento last week.
West-Coasters should note, the Fred Hall Show is all but dead, and the "great gathering" of saltwater anglers will be the Pacific Coast Sportfishing Show in Orange County, Feb. 18-20.

Keta

Mark Twain