New "Slow-Pitch" rods and reels

Started by Tunanorth, September 15, 2020, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Power and Mech jigging are generally off the rod, whereas the others are (again generally) off the reel.
This shows their technique well (though I've never tried it - mech jigging's my thing):

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

I just watched this:

Looks like how I've fished skampis since the 70s. One of the reason I like Sabers over the new super thin broom sticks is that they will let the lure swim. Getting hit on the drop has always been the norm.

Nikola showed me a rod designed to not fight a fish because it was cranked in with a reel, that doesn't seem like fishing.

I'm not talking bad about the technique, I'm sure there are details I am not aware of that make it unique; but my bottom line still holds true: Put some smashed lead with a hook on the bottom and catch fish. Everything else is designed to catch fisherman.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

Whoa! Thanks Tunanorth, Justin and Ron. That's my thinking, go light for bottom fish, it's more fun. Why pump and crank up 2 - 4 Rockfish at a time(a West Coast thing in the US) with a pound plus of extra lead weight. It's more work than fun.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

Quote from: Gfish on October 03, 2021, 04:31:29 PM
Whoa! Thanks Tunanorth, Justin and Ron. That's my thinking, go light for bottom fish, it's more fun. Why pump and crank up 2 - 4 Rockfish at a time(a West Coast thing in the US) with a pound plus of extra lead weight. It's more work than fun.
Alan figured that out...
Batteries!
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sabaman1

I can definitely attest that it is a lot of fun hooking a large rockfish or the likes on light line with the slow pitch technique. Super bendo!!! :) 8)
JIM

Tunanorth

Those pesky bluefin tuna keep stealing the spotlight, which has kept SPJ from becoming a super-popular thing for CA anglers.
If CA still allowed lingcod/rockfish take in Jan-Feb, it would no doubt become much more popular.

Cor

Each to his own.

What I've often wondered about is how do you keep the lure from "catching" the bottom?

When you drop it down, you touch the bottom and then work it up a bit from there, then drop it down again.

I tend to use treble hooks on my lures and they probably stick to the bottom 2/10 times when touching it so maybe a single or 2 singles would get fouled 1/10 times

Cornelis