ISO Hand reel

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 14, 2020, 03:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

So my wife is from Trinidad, and her father keeps talking about how he used to fish with a hand reel (basically just a metal ring that line wraps around?). She tells me that whenever they used to go fishing with him as a kid, he was hit or miss with a rod and reel but always caught something good on the hand reel without fail.

I guess somewhere along the line it disappeared. And he likes to trash talk and say that if only he had his hand reel back he'd fish circles around me.

Now I've seen them online, and seen some at southeastern here in Tampa but he says those are too small and he needs a bigger one like he used to have. Have any of you seen one around for sale? His birthday is fast approaching and I wanna see if he can walk the talk.

(Really i just wanna get him out there fishing with me because he's really fun to talk to, and I figure his competitive spirit will get him off the couch if I can find him his preferred rig)
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

search here...  I remember some real hardwood beauties, couple years back

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on September 14, 2020, 04:02:42 PM
search here...  I remember some real hardwood beauties, couple years back
Oh i tried before posting. The problem is about 80% of threads apparently contain the word hand and the word reel. So there may be something golden buried in there but I'm not readily seeing it.

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

JasonGotaProblem

philaroman

found it...  they were dowel-type hobo reels -- not hoop hand-reels:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22188.0

saw stuff like this, elsewhere & had a memory mash-up:

philaroman

modern versions of a Cuban YoYo are all plastic crap

for better quality, whistles and bells (or, just to mess with Pops), consider a kite reel:

oc1

The wooden one is beautiful.  Probably an artisan one-off.  How could anyone not like it?  With some nice dacron line it would be a pleasure just to hold.
-steve

RowdyW

Or get one of the reels for winding up outdoor extension cords. $10-$11 on ebay.

philaroman

oh, DUH

best materials & manufacturing, for the price

just don't tell him what it actually is

JasonGotaProblem

Well this thread has paid off in spades. You guys are great. Gonna get a hyundai wheel and a hacksaw. Lets see what ya got old man!