Nickel plating components yes or no

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 16, 2020, 01:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Suppose I was cutting my own brass anti reverse ratchet. Would it be wise/beneficial/pick an adjective to electro plate it with nickel? I've done it at home it's not that difficult. Kinda cool actually.

Why or why not?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

Making them out is stainless steel would be better.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Keta on September 16, 2020, 01:10:48 AM
Making them out is stainless steel would be better.
That option is on the table too. Since nobody is currently selling what i need on the forum or elsewhere and I'm running into minimum order hurdles trying to get it water jet cut, I'm seriously ready to make my own out of a washer.

Feel like doing another small batch run of 8500SS ratchets?

mhc

It wouldn't hurt to try it, Nickel plate looks good and helps with corrosion resistance - it might wear away on the contact areas of the teeth after a while depending on how thick the plate is.
Is your electrolyte bath a caswell type secret blend or do you mix your own? I've used a 100 gms/litre nickel acetate bath to plate some steel bench dogs and small parts to stop them rusting - seems to be working but I've got no idea how thick the plate is.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: mhc on September 16, 2020, 03:15:28 AM
It wouldn't hurt to try it, Nickel plate looks good and helps with corrosion resistance - it might wear away on the contact areas of the teeth after a while depending on how thick the plate is.
Is your electrolyte bath a caswell type secret blend or do you mix your own? I've used a 100 gms/litre nickel acetate bath to plate some steel bench dogs and small parts to stop them rusting - seems to be working but I've got no idea how thick the plate is.

Mike
Previously I had done it at a friends house using their pre made solution but I would make my own this time. I have some food grade glacial from my commercial sauce making days so I'm hoping for better results than you get from table vinegar.

My logic is that most things corrode but this is an additional layer of defense. I'd be hesitant to use it on a drive gear or something but I figure an AR ratchet would be a good use.

jurelometer

A bit of Corrosion 101:

Metals that are corrosion resistant (brass/ stainless) usually achieve the corrosion protection by forming an oxide layer on the surface, which prevents further corrosion.  Strangely enough, oxide formation requires oxygen :)   

Protective layers like paint or plating  work well to prevent corrosion until the saltwater finds a scratch or other defect.  At this point the corrosion travels along the surface of the metal under the protective layer, which is an oxygen starved environment, meaning that the metal cannot prevent further corrosion by forming a "healing"  oxide.  Corrosion does not require oxygen.

One form of this corrosion is called crevice corrosion (why bolts corrode inside of a part), but I think there is a more specific term for this kind of traveling subsurface corrosion.

We have all seen this.  It is the corrosion scabs and blisters that form under the chrome plating or paint on metal reel parts.  It can also happen with anodized aluminum.

For a dog/pawl, I would personally select a marine grade brass or bronze, and just grease it.  If corrosion comes it will progress more slowly and can be scrubbed off of the surface as part of normal maintenance without having to strip off the plating or paint.  Just a bit of de-greaser and a wire brush.

Just my $0.02,

-J

oc1

There was a guy here (maybe two different guys) doing nickel plating.  My impression is that getting a thin coating is not so difficult, but getting a thick coating at home is not so easy. 

I'd use raw brass.  It's easy to come by and easy to work.  If the reel is serviced every now and then, the grease and oil will keep corrosion at bay.
-s

JasonGotaProblem

Ok so what I'm gathering is:

RowdyW

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: RowdyW on September 16, 2020, 01:54:05 PM
No, get stainless steel.
The problem is that generic/unspecified stainless steel washers are easy to come by. In fact i already bought some of the ideal dimensions and may still use them. But 316 stainless (what I assume I'd want if i wanted the actual saltwater based benefits of going stainless) is much harder to find. It doesnt seem to exist locally in the size I would need, and if I'm gonna pay 50+ bucks for a large pack of washers i only need one of, and then have to cut them myself, i might as well deal with the min order and get them properly cut.

Loosely related, the best offer I've found thus far was a $150 min cutting fee (independent from materials cost) with a 12" square sheet of 14 gauge (desired thickness) 316 stainless costing $40. so $190 + tax whether I order one dog and ratchet set or 38 (the # that fits on the sheet). But I talked to them further and by no means does it need to be all the same part for that deal. There could be 20 different pieces on there for all they care. So in theory if others on here want parts of the same thickness we could split the order and everyone wins. I'm not sure if it even needs to be the same sheet. so perhaps other thicknesses are available too within that same min. Order.

I've been meaning to put something out to gauge interest.

Gfish

SS dogs and rachets. What reel models would you make these for? Just the 8500?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Gfish on September 16, 2020, 04:46:41 PM
SS dogs and rachets. What reel models would you make these for?
Currently I'm working on this for my penn 8500SS (would also fit a 7500ss, 850ss and 750ss) but regarding splitting an order, given good measurements (and assuming its the same thickness) I could make it for any reel. I can do the cad work its what i currently do for a living.

Gfish

Alright, your the "resident good idea generator". I don't see myself with an ss model in the future, but they are a pretty popular old-school spinner.
Just a thought, baitcast/conventional handles...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

Keta

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 16, 2020, 04:50:34 PM
Quote from: Gfish on September 16, 2020, 04:46:41 PM
SS dogs and rachets. What reel models would you make these for?
Currently I'm working on this for my penn 8500SS (would also fit a 7500ss, 850ss and 750ss) but regarding splitting an order, given good measurements (and assuming its the same thickness) I could make it for any reel. I can do the cad work its what i currently do for a living.

Let me look in my scrap, I think I have some cut that need more work than I want to put into them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain