D.A.M. question...

Started by Aiala, September 17, 2020, 12:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

I just scored a vintage D.A.M. Quick 440 on fleaBay, it seems like a fine spinner, and I am very pleased. I want to access the drag components inside the spool, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to extract that eight-pointed retaining clip without wrecking it... any suggestions would be enormously appreciated. Thanks!   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

mo65

Hi Aiala,
   I went through this a few years ago...just pry up on that ring with a screwdriver...it will pop right off. Then it presses right back into place. It looks like it is molded into the plastic, but it isn't. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Aiala

Quote from: mo65 on September 17, 2020, 01:10:16 PM
Hi Aiala, I went through this a few years ago...just pry up on that ring with a screwdriver...it will pop right off. Then it presses right back into place. It looks like it is molded into the plastic, but it isn't. 8)

Mo, thanks a bunch!   :)   You were right, it did pop out, albeit a bit reluctantly. I don't think it was ever serviced, there's corrosion and gunk in there and the fiber(?) washers pretty much fell into crumbs. Do you happen to know what size replacement washers I need and where to get them?  ???

~A~

thorhammer

Yes, Fred's house! But he's preoccupied at the moment...

Aiala

Quote from: thorhammer on September 17, 2020, 02:57:58 PM
Yes, Fred's house! But he's preoccupied at the moment...

John, exactly... but I'm not about to bug Fred, he's got enough on his plate. I just wondered if Mo or anyone happened to know... I'd order them from Dawn, if she had the right size...  :)
~A~

foakes

If you measure the current drag washers, Aiala, you can order some from dawn just giving her the ID & OD -- like you mentioned.  Try to get as close as possible -- then adjust the size accordingly using a drill and/or filing -- making them a little loose -- not snug.

Also, if going to CF's -- try to get The THINNEST ones -- LIGHTLY grease them with Cal's -- clean up the metal discs to very smooth -- replace the under spool washers -- polish the spool arbor -- clean the inside of the spool arbor with an old drill bit and "0000" steel wool -- and also the spool shaft.

We should be back to our house in 2 to 5 days -- depending on today's fire progress and wind.  In our area, it is mop-up and establishing solid lines of 300' away from homes in our area -- which for us is already done.

Maybe we can repopulate in a few days -- then evaluate, assess, clean up, take photos, toss out fridge & freezer food that thawed out then refroze as the power came back on -- do a hundred other things.

So I can certainly help with factory washers and parts -- but it might be a while.

I just called our County Supervisor yesterday -- to recommend putting large roll-off trash containers at the bottom of roads -- so folks can toss out spoiled food and items as they repopulate.  Just got confirmation that they are doing this today.

Lots to do -- but we, as one of the fortunate ones -- will do what we can to get back in, establish "Home" -- and help others.  More to come.

Will be glad to help with any parts -- but now it could be a slight wait.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

I thought I had a 440 here to measure for you, but I don't. Guess I gotta find one :)

mo65

I don't have a 440 either. Like Fred said though...you can surely get a close size from Dawn. They don't need to be exact...just not tight. The one problem I might see is thickness. Some of those stock Resitex washers can be very thick. If they are just double up the Carbontex washers.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

ReelFishingProblems

I have a 441N that's easy to get to. If those have the same washers, I will gladly measure them.

Nick

Aiala

Gents, I SO appreciate all the help, you have no idea... thank you so much!  ;)

Y'know, I actually do have one of those digital caliper thingies, and I did try measuring the remaining intact drag washer, but I guess I'm not doing it right, because I kept getting the inside dimension bigger than the outside!  ::)  :P  Sheesh... I can write novels, but anything with numbers, I turn into an idiot.   :-[

In any event, if it turns out that I can buy them from Dawn, great, otherwise I'll just wait till Maestro Fred is back in business. It's all good!   :)

~A~

Midway Tommy

Here you go, Mam.   ;D Call me anti-World Order if you like but I measured them in inches not meters.  :D Photos aren't Mo quality but they'll do.  

Washer order left to right, larger Resitex (sometimes more than one to adjust for correct line lay) between the spool and spindle. Spool cavity order: spring washer, metal washer, smaller Resitex washer, 3 ear keyed washer, smaller Resitex washer, metal washer and retaining ring/clip.

Larger Resitex inside diameter 0.3165".

Larger Resitex outside diameter 0.7090".

Smaller Resitex inside diameter 0.3180".

Smaller Resitex outside diameter 0.5910".

These washers aren't very worn so they should be pretty accurate.

Hope it gets you where you need go.  :)

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Aiala

Tommy, wow... thanks so much! (BTW, I am anti-World Order, too!)  ;D

I checked the current Smoooth Drag size chart, and going by your amazingly precise measurements, even their smallest #1 Carbontex washers would be a tiny bit too large... I think. And, I don't know what Resitex is, or where to get it. So, I guess I'll rely on D.A.M. expert Fred (whenever he's back on line) to get me sorted out...

Gratefully,
~Aiala~

Midway Tommy

Fred would be the go-to-guy for Resitex. OEM Resitex washers are kind if tough to come by. If one can't trim Carbontex to fit I think Teflon would also be a great option.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Donnyboat

Hi Tommy, I stand correcting, teflon, I thought was an aditive they add to grease, such as Cal`s grease, I think the washers you are refering to are delrin, or delron, yes they would work good, cheers Don, good luck Lannie.
Don, or donnyboat

JasonGotaProblem

Not sure if this is appropriate but I've seen a handful of these posted for sale on CL in Florida in the past few days. They're on the space coast and sarasota pages.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.