TUTORIAL Abu Garcia 6600c5 Mag x

Started by coastalobsession, December 20, 2011, 01:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastalobsession

This is one of my personal reels. Its a Abu Garcia 6600c5 mag. It holds 245 yards of 50lb braid. I currently have Fins braid on it.
Overall it has stood up to the elements real well. I currently use it for jigging and I have a replacement handle coming in to help with a faster ratio.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=600

This tutorial is a Rebuild so here is a view of all the parts lined up.

As you can see the left side plate was in very good condition so i just put a drop of oil on the worm gear

Now take the right side that holds the gears and apply a light coat of yamaha marine grease and grease all the screw holes

Now put part numbers 22807 and 20685 back on and apply a light coat of grease

Then put the pinion gear set up back in (20848 and 20664)

now put Pt # 22808 on top and make sure you line it up correctly

After that get the main gear and its drag washers greased

Once that is finished put line it up on the drive shaft (22097) and then grease the main gear with Yamaha marine grease

Now put the right side plate on and line it up. once finished you can go ahead and screw it down. (screws pt. 304)

Now put the washers (5131) on the drive shaft in the () or )( position.

Put the star drag back on

Put Pt. # 5115 on in the ) position.

Then put the handle on with both sides greased to prevent corrosion.

Now put the C-clip retainer back on

Then screw the nut (24308) back on along with its other components (24309,24765).

Once finished set the side plate off to the side. Now get all the spool components together

Now clean the bearings in simple green. After that is finished then put the bearing in on the right side of the spool and oil it.

Now put pt # 20211 on along with is retainer ring (13084)

Then put the other bearing in on the left side off the spool and oil it.

Then add the plastic gear (23403) on top and make sure it clicks when you push it in.

Now check the free spool.

Then pop the spool back in the frame

Now install the spool shaft in on the right plate and apply a light coat of grease to the bottom off the plate to help with corrosion.

Now put the right plate on to the frame and make sure that it fits correctly and screw the last 3 screw in.

All done. Sorry if it was a little confusing (my first tutorial rebuild)
Its also my first time with photo bucket
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

redsetta

G'day CO, if I may suggest, try 'img' tags rather than 'url' tags and the images will all be visible in the tutorial.
Looks good though!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

coastalobsession

Thanks. I couldnt figure it out. I will change it.

coastalobsession

Alto Mare

Very nice Job, coastalobsession! I think I see Santa Claus delivering a wrench ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Great job coastobsession.  46.6 seconds?  Very good.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastalobsession

It maybe a little off but I got an average of 35. But that is still pretty good. That was with shimano oil. But I went back an cleaned them again and used reel butter bearing oil.

Alto Mare

Coastalobsession, a little while back you said that you where going to give the Paslode tool cleaner a shot. Did you get to try it?  I'm pretty confident that you will gane more spinning time after you hit the bearing with that stuff. That's all that I use, plus a drop of TSI 301 afterward.  Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastalobsession

I havent gotten my hands on any yet. I currently shake it out with Simple Green

bassnwhaler

Thanks for this post Coastalobsession. I just upgraded the drag on a 5600c5 mag and your photos gave me confidence. I had a bear of a time with the smallest thing though...I scratched #22807 ever so slightly when I was using a screwdriver to change its position once the gearing was put back together. This made the thumb bar not engage the part, making the thumb bar clutch cath only part of the time. I read somewhere that the only thing this could be caused by was a worn part, which I assumed, correctly, was the micro scratches I made on it. Some sanding with an emory board and my sharpening steel brought it back to "smooth" and it now is working great! Man! the little things.....

coastalobsession

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coastalobsession

Ken_D

Hello. Nice job. The link to the schematic points to a different reel than the tutorial.

One small detail, tho, on the spool assy: I did not see where you indicated there was a bent copper shim inside the spool on the crank side. (p/n 13104) http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/6600C5MAGX%20%201600.pdf  No shim, things don't go quite as planned. Thanks,  Ken.

coastalobsession

Quote from: Ken_D on June 03, 2012, 10:52:38 PM
With respect, and without malice: a 'qualified' nice job...I was given a 4600 MagX ~all in pieces~ yesterday. The drawing is not at all clear, on how to re-install the little "pronger" by the worm latch, how the little clip on the mag-pack fits, and the struggliest bit of all: how to re-place the magnet pack itself. These pieces are not intuitive, off the schematic, in my left-handed take on the drawing. Being left-handed is only good for painting the other corner of the room, and undoing propane bottles.

I did get the reel back togeter again, but it took several placements of the mag-pack to get it right. Your tutorial does not really address this, as you've left the non-crank side of the reel off the list. If I had a camera, I would add a pic, but I do not.  Is there a possibility you could pull the LH side plate off, and snap a pic.  Thanks.. KD
Sorry man. As soon as I have time I will get it for you!