schoolie bft 9/14

Started by sciaenops, September 17, 2020, 07:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sciaenops

Coming off our 1.5d charter fishing Monday 9/14. Mostly regulars with a handful of friends of friends. Platform was the Endeavor out of Seaforth/SD with Tucker at the helm. Our choices were to head sw for paddy dorado, yt & yft, or hit the backside of Clemente where mixed grade bluefin have set up shop. Didn't want the micro models on the paddies so we headed west after taking on a load of sardines.

The Endeavor is a 60' x 20' Seaway with typical split bunkroom below, decent sized galley (seats 24 stuffed to the gills) & more than adequate bait tank & rsw that has roots on the central coast (as the Marauder), but that is another story.

Awoken by the PA saying we're in the bigger boy zone (outside Desperation Reef) and will start looking to fly the kite. Not my favorite thing to do with 15 anglers, best buddies or not. Its already 7a so we're obviously in no rush. No other boats in sight but visibility was limited to a mile or less pretty much all day. Wind chop was around but not too bad.

Non-existent bite for the am as we worked nw. Ate breakfast, drank some coffee then water then so more coffee, made a couple of 5 min stops, then it was time for cheeseburger lunch. Alex the galley boss is good guy and fed us well to pass the time. About 1p, Tucker asks if we want to duck into the island and fish the kelp line for a bite - I get a bunch of nods, please anything but an afternoon of more the same. Just as pictures of yellowtail (and sealions) crystallize, he says his buddys are stopped on fish a few miles nw, so we're back to the original plan and keep cruising toward the schoolie zone.

An hour of so later we stop on a mark Tucker says is coming thru at about 120'. Haven't seen one boil or any bird activity so I drop my favorite pink butterfly jig and get hooked up on the fall. Easy battle on my new GP80 Monster with 40# line and a 30# class bft hits the deck. Slow pick on flylined or sinker rigged sardines thereafter. I handed off next 2 fish to buds who hadn't got bit which we got on board as well. I was able to pull on an Andros 12nsiia with 30# that had locked up on its maiden voyage, as well as an inherited TLD15 with 25# that I had never fished before, and luckily both worked like a charm.

The only semi-flurry was near dusk when a school of footballs swam by and allowed everyone to finish off their limits. Got one last 10#er flylining on 40# as it got dark. Finished the day by dropping a 250g glow flatfall, which got sawed off when a hooked football freaked & went sideways up the rail. Turns out that fish was being chased by a sizeable hammerhead that was looking for dinner. Ended in a tangled mess for 3 or 4 of us.

Out like a light after a teriyaki trip tip dinner, super smooth ride back to dock at 0500, home to Carson before 0700.  Enjoyed a plate of bluefin sashimi which is among the best imo.

Thanks for reading.  Keith       

ReelFishingProblems

Looks like a lot of fun and that last photo has me drooling. Of all the restaurants I haven't eaten at because of COVID, I miss my good sushi place the most. Something about added time with delivery of sushi that gets me scared.

Hardy Boy

Fun times, nothing wrong with some schoolies to put in the box. Nice report and even better eating.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Donnyboat

Thanks Keith, good report nice pics, nice feed, cheers Don, wish I was there.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

Fantastic job on your trip,,,, ;) it looks like you kicked the flavor on them too,,,,,,, ;D

Dominick

That's fishing.  You go from nodding off waiting for a fish to bite and then the fish hits the fan.  There is that adrenaline rush that makes us all go back.  Good work Keith.  Thanks for the report.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sabaman1

Nice catch Keith! Theres nothing like spending time at sea enjoying our favorite pastime with our friends!
JIM