San Diego half day trip

Started by rogan, September 21, 2020, 11:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogan

A couple of weeks ago I was able to spend a couple days in San Diego to get out of the Arizona heat. We have had 40+ days this summer with temps over 110°. Ocean Beach was 74° for a high temp when we arrived.  I went out on the Dolphin from Fishermans Landing for an am half day trip. I wanted to fish inshore for calicos and sheepshead, but three days before my arrival, the water turned over and dropped 10 degrees, putting inshore conditions into a no bite situation. So the Captain made the call to head out to deeper water and fish for rockfish.
This was both good and bad for me. Bad because i wanted to fish for inshore species and had prepped my gear mostly for that style fishing. Good because I have done that style of fishing before so i knew what to do, and i had packed some rock cod rigs left over from a Morro Bay trip a couple years ago with the great folks on this site. The Captain asked for 8oz sinkers since we were fishing in 240 feet of water, and that was the only hole jn my plan. The heaviest i brought was 6, but i doubled up and did fine. As Khahn said in his recent post, be perpared. Fortunately, i was.
We fished for about 3 hours and i managed a first for me, smoothhound shark. I actually caught two, as well as two rock fish (no photos of those). My first ever sharks. I used my Pro Gear 255 (thank you Randy at Vintage) with 50lb braid, a 30lb mono leader and 50 lb dropper loop with shrimp flies on a loomis 20-30lb 7'6" pelagic rod. My first time using the combo and i really liked it. This was my first So Cal trip in 20 years and the first where i used my own gear.
Speaking of gear, there were 27 anglers on the boat, normally set for a max of 60, which made for a relaxed atmosphere, but 16 or 17 were non-fisherman using rental gear and the tangles were often and consistent. I managed to stay clear most of the time, but it still happened. Even with all that, i can't wait to get back for another trip, eventually working my way into some overnighters and one day trips.
Since there was plenty of room on the deck, i pulled my mask down for a good photo opportunity, but i put it back in the photo to be Covid compliant😉

sabaman1

Sounds like a good time was had in nice weather. Thanks for sharing your trip and pics.
JIM

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks for the great report Rich!  Happy to see that you got to spend some time out on the water and caught some fish, even if conditions forced a change in plans.  The eye on that shark is amazing!  I have heard that they are good to eat.  Did you try it?

rogan

Randy,  no, i didnt keep them. I'm mostly a catch and release fisherman, but i do keep the rockfish since getting them back down to depth is challenging on a party boat. The 255 was fantastic. I added Alan's 3/0 handle and a custom arm, with cf drags and it worked very well. I got a couple funny looks from the crew like they had never seen a Pro Gear before, but it worked great.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: rogan on September 21, 2020, 05:28:51 PM
Randy,  no, i didnt keep them. I'm mostly a catch and release fisherman, but i do keep the rockfish since getting them back down to depth is challenging on a party boat. The 255 was fantastic. I added Alan's 3/0 handle and a custom arm, with cf drags and it worked very well. I got a couple funny looks from the crew like they had never seen a Pro Gear before, but it worked great.

It sounds like you really tricked that reel out Rich, and I'm glad that you are enjoying it!  I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate you thinking of me and making that buy possible.

Randy

Swami805

Half day trips can be fun!  moderate your expectations get a few and mission accomplished. Some of those boats cook some good grub too, cheese burger always tastes better on the water.. Thanks for the report.
I've eaten smooth hounds, pretty good!  They also get pin back sharks at the same areas which are horrible. They look similar but the pin back has a spine behind the dorsal.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Good report and a good variety of fish.  Those shrimp flies lol pretty fishy...did you tie your own?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

Smooth hound shark? I grew up calling those spoon tails.
Way to go!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Nice work.  Those shrimp flies look like the ones Big Tim makes out of plastic from old patio chairs.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

It's just a good feeling to get a shark,,,,,,, ;D