Huge bluefin sightings

Started by Maxed Out, September 22, 2020, 12:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Big bluefin are being seen off Oregon coast mostly by guys going for albacore. Some learn the hard way that albacore gear is not suited for 200+ pound bluefin.

I'm no good at adding links, but some good reading about these bluefin on ifish.com which is a very friendly Oregon fishing forum. So far nobody has landed one of the jumbo bluefin, but multiple boats have had encounters with them while albacore fishing. Some getting spooled in seconds. Sounds like some of you SoCal boys need to go show them how it's done.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

ReelFishingProblems

That would be quite the adrenal rush.

sabaman1

THE EVER SO ELUSIVE BIG BLUEFIN. Most of the big bluefin 200lb and over are caught on the kite rig. For those big bait fish alot of the guys get smoked down here in So. Cal also. There are some exceptions where smart fisherman have hooked them on the cow gear and flatfalls and got them in after a good battle. Watching them in awe foam, jump, boil is like going on a whale watch trip. As a fisherman who has been in pursuit of them for the last several years I have gained a new respect for their inteligence. Go Bluefin!!! 
JIM

thorhammer

Ted you know you got to tank up a 9/0 and get one :)

Hardy Boy

I heard reports of some guys getting spooled fishing for albacore off of central Vancouver island. There must be some bigger ones this far North also as some schoolie BFT have been caught along with a few yellow tail . There have also been reports of bill fish sightings; the very odd striped marlin has been caught over the years.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

David Hall

Blue fin hunting is a costly "disease"  once infected it becomes extremely difficult to overcome.  side effects include expensive boat and gear upgrades. not to mention the mental stress that comes from simply hearing reports of sightings of them along our coast line. 
I do not think I will ever recover, I actually caught one in my local waters back in October 2015 and its only gotten worse.  ;D

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

I started buying BFT gear a dozen years ago and caught...zero...used the gear, zero....but my buddy has, so I'm looking forward to it hopefully before I'm too old to crank on 400lbs worth.

RowdyW

Quote from: Dominick on September 22, 2020, 09:46:19 PM
I'll be up tomorrow...Dominick
Dominick, a Reel test for the Tank!        Rudy

David Hall

Since the subject came up about BFT gear it is only appropriate that I share my most recent gear upgrade.
My wife and I have an agreement, when it comes to buying gear.  It goes like this.  I pick it out, I buy it and she gets to say she bought it for my Birthday or Christmas or just because.  So this year when the BFZt were being caught out of Monterey Bay I got a recommendation on reels and line class for fishing these giants and since I had a birthday coming up I decided that this year she was really going to outdo herself and get me a first class BFT rod and reel.  Well a little internet searching and I located the reel of my dreams at Charkbait, a beautiful Mak 20IIsea, I took it over to show the Chief and asked him to give it a quick once through inspection and spool it up with 600yds of 100# JB hollow? Added a loop for using wind on leaders.  After that I decided a reel that nice deserves an equally nice rod, so I paid a visit to our own Jon Vadney and commissioned him for the task, after much discussion and trying out different rod blanks We settled on a seeker OSP 2X4 with a special fore guard for heavy rail punishment, it's some kind of High pressure steel mesh reinforced rubber hose, reamed out to match the rods taper.  John went to work and before I knew it he let me know it was done.  Man is it a beautiful piece of work.  This is a setup any wife would be proud to give to her man who deserves the best.  Which we all do right?
Anyway without further delay.  Here it is. 
Double dog dangit!  Some reason my pics won't upload?

David Hall

I take really lousy pictures and doesn't do this rod and reel justice, especially the rod.  I'll get some better ones.

sabaman1

David that is an awesome combo, a true bluefin slayer! Hopefully you get an opportunity soon to put the wood to them.
JIM

Brewcrafter

That is a beautiful combo!  Did you hydro the reel or did it come with that pattern on it, they both look awesome and together really set each other off nicely! - john

Keta

Nice rod, I can't believe you twisted it.    ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

No one does better work than John. That tuna looks like it was woven into the graphite.
Very impressive, I hope you enjoy it. Tell her she done good!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"