WwwwwwrrrrrrrrAHP

Started by Gfish, September 19, 2020, 11:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrasher

I was thinking along the line of oc1 on this, are the bridge screws fully threaded or just the tip? It seems like the yoke held the pinion at an angle and with a little spool spindle wobble while casting it got bound. 

Gfish

Ok. Good advice = good plan = success! Testing with a 15' surf rod and 3 & 4 oz. weights, casted ok, then I found a way to cast with more force and casted great. I.e., with right hand on reel & rod handle, left hand below reel on rod handle and left elbow pushing on rod butt(rod handle about 26" from reel seat to butt)as I cast it. Sort of a fulcrum/leverage increaser.

Rudy, John, and Don's polish thing worked well. I noticed the eccrentic lever moves much more smoothly now!

Steve, Alex, Jeff and Thrasher; the causitive problem has gotta be in there, somewhere...My best guess is that Steve's guesstimate was it: the pinion didn't disengage completely from the spool shaft shoulders, which might make the e. lever movement rough(as it was before the wwwwwwwwwwahrap! happened). Yeah John, best to smooth off those aftermarket parts.

Got chance to test Alvey again, after servicing it. It casted 1.5 oz. further than the TN4 casted 4 oz. IMO, this is a surf caster "extraordinaire". Takes some getting used to, but the design, simplicity and construction is excellent. Gets almost 19" per crank, and has great 1:1---6"dia. spool, cranking power. Looks like Don(Donnyboat) went through it pretty thourghly before he sent it(2yrs. ago)and he installed c-tex drag washers, to boot! Thanks again Don!

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on September 24, 2020, 12:18:32 AM
Ok. Good advice = good plan = success! Testing with a 15' surf rod and 3 & 4 oz. weights,

yay !!  15ft  surf rod, daaang !!

I find my 12" surf rod kind of cumbersome to use, I found it fun to cast and enjoy to see the bait fly away lots of yards but to tell the truth, I catch the same fish with my 7ft rod and abu 6500c3 than using the 12" surf rod and satist 20h reel  :-\ :-\ only baybass and triggerfish or small corvinas that you can still get them with bass gear, maybe my big rod would shine on the south of Baja, Cabos, La Paz, even Loreto, but here in the northest Cortez sea there is not much life in the shores because of the big extra extreme low and hight tides.

The Baja Guy

jurelometer

I think that I remember reading somewhere that some of the aftermarket high speed pinions had loose rings.   Not positive though.

The issue of the eccentric being rough is a useful hint.   That yoke looked a little rough.   But... the eccentric system is used to snap the pinion toward the spool with force. When the lever is pulled back for freespool, it it the yoke springs that push and keep the pinion away from the spool, and they are not that strong.  I don't know how much pinion clearance this model is supposed to be working with, but a blend of aftermarket parts could have lost you some.  If the pinion didn't engage fully, that should only affect winding, unless it caused some burr on the spindle that allowed the pinion to retract mostly, but robbed some clearance. 

Since the cast started out OK, the pinion had to be disengaged enough to clear the spindle junction.  Something caught in the middle of the cast.  My bet would be a pinion ring that was coming off on one side, and/or weak yoke springs that did not leave a safe clearance

All the fixes that you did would help with pinion retraction, but I would also make sure that the ring is not too loose, and that the yokes springs are not getting tired.

I lurve a mystery...

-J

oc1

Quote from: Gfish on September 24, 2020, 12:18:32 AM
Alvey again, after servicing it. It casted 1.5 oz. further than the TN4 casted 4 oz. IMO, this is a surf caster "extraordinaire".

Well, that's sort of earth shattering.  What will 2020 bring next? 

You have the reel at the bottom, yeah?  How do you put that rig in a sand spike or a hole drilled in the rock?

Greg, you're going to be a real hit with the dunkers.
-steve