Do not overlook "regular" maintenance. I couldn't believe it. Jigmaster rust.

Started by JoseCuervo, September 20, 2020, 06:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabaman1

Rob, I would strongly recommend not allowing any grease around the dog, I would just use a small drop of tsi or reelx. The grease will start to migrate from the gear and build up around the dog and cause the dog to stick.
JIM

JoseCuervo

Thanks sabaman1. I am not sure I could really put less grease there, but the migration issue might crop up.. This pic makes it look thicker than it is. It was just a light brushing on the bridge plate and the dog, I'll have to just keep an eye on it I guess. I did the same originally with the crap grease and never had an issue. I have cranked on it enough so far that likely whatever would happen has probably done so. Time will tell and I'll take another look after some use.

It sounds like there is a fine line between having too little grease on the gears and having too much of it ending up on the dog.  :-\

Thanks again-

Rob

Cor

Have been quietly watching and enjoying this thread.

Both photos above make me shudder in a different way. :D

Cornelis

JoseCuervo

I heard that Cor!  ;)

That main gear..  :o It's an after, and then a before! Is that crazy or what?

I still can't believe it, start to finish.

nelz

Hey Rob, so which specific grease did you use before? I hope it's not what I'm using!

Cor

Quote from: JoseCuervo on September 27, 2020, 05:56:17 AM
I heard that Cor!  ;)

That main gear..  :o It's an after, and then a before! Is that crazy or what?

I still can't believe it, start to finish.
To answer your original question ??? ???

With grease I believe  in "less is more" and the second picture reminds me of a water pump I once fixed, the whole thing was corroded like that.

So probably not the reply you expected.
Cornelis

JoseCuervo

Quote from: nelz on September 27, 2020, 05:36:22 PM
Hey Rob, so which specific grease did you use before? I hope it's not what I'm using!

MasterPro. It is shown in the pic on page 2, same pic with the Penn grease.

nelz

Quote from: JoseCuervo on September 27, 2020, 08:24:31 PM
Quote from: nelz on September 27, 2020, 05:36:22 PMHey Rob, so which specific grease did you use before? I hope it's not what I'm using!
MasterPro. It is shown in the pic on page 2, same pic with the Penn grease.

Ok, got it.

Hmm... you know, I've taken apart old neglected Penns that were covered with so much pitting and corrosion that you could hardly see the chrome any more, but I've never seen an interior so badly covered in rust as yours was. I just find this very bizarre!