Putting a Tiburon narrow frame and spool kit on my 113H

Started by vmuth, September 14, 2020, 06:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmuth

Hi All, been tinkering on the reels since this whole covid thing started.  I recently bought a T4NK kit from Tiburon to update my 113h.  Tiburon just finished a batch and I was lucky enough to call.

I wanted to get your input and suggestions on anything else I should be thinking about or addressing when I put the kit on the reel.  I think it has about a 3x1 gear ratio?  I used the reel on 2 or 3 overnight trips and caught nothing with it.  I rinsed and dried it off and put it in the cabinet and it sat there for the last 10 years or so.

I'm thinking about putting 40# on it and using it for iron or bait.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

alantani

old school, for sure, but these reels will still catch fish.  you might consider 80 pound braid to the top, then your choice of 30, 40, 50 or 60 pound topshots, depending on the fishing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

You can drop a bunch of $ and almost upgrade every part of that reel if you want to go that route. Browse the for sale section on here and get an idea of what available.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

I had one with 4:1 gears.  It'll take a full 1/4# spool of 40# mono... 370 yds.  I got 2 YT yoyoing at San Clemente Island with a Salas 6x on my first trip with it 30 years ago.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RUSTY OLD COLT

Recently built one with a red narrow  spool and frame  and spooled it up with 40lb braid and its build with all stock inners except for the custom handle Sal built for it

Maxed Out

The stock gear ratio is 3.25/1

4/1 aftermarket gears are available. Depends if you want more speed with higher ratio, or more torque with the stock ratio. Nothing wrong with mostly stock 113H. I'd suggest installing fresh 5 stack of ht-100 with delrin friction washer and service the bearings. Stock sideplates work fine, but adding new Cortez sideplate kit is a beneficial upgrade. Start out slow with just the YTS kit, then go from there with upgrades as you go. The 113HN is one of my all time favorites. Me and Rusty Old Colt musta had same idea. I just recently put this one together
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Swami805 on September 14, 2020, 10:37:06 PM
You can drop a bunch of $ and almost upgrade every part of that reel if you want to go that route. Browse the for sale section on here and get an idea of what available.
Swami's right.  You can very easily spend enough on one where they don't have a single "Penn" part in them and you could take the same money and just go out and buy a brand new 2 speed lever drag instead.  The only part I have never seen in Stainless Aftermarket is the eccentric (no guys, don't anyone tell me...)  Not that you have to; just the frame kit and drag stack and you have a very serious reel.  Heck, I've had so much fun with my T4N that when Randy just offered a run of the T4XN - I bit  :D  Gave me something to do to keep myself occupied. - john