New member, new Senator 14/0

Started by specialblend07, October 08, 2020, 07:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

specialblend07

Quote from: oc1 on October 10, 2020, 04:31:15 AM
Oops.  I misspoke.  Your 2600 yards is more like 1.5 miles, not half-mile.  

In 1966 Walter Maxwell caught his world record 14 ft tiger shark with a stock Penn 16/0.  Don't the 14/0 and 16/0 have the same drag, gear train and spool diameter?  Donno.  Anyway, Maxwell had 1400 yards of 130# braided dacron and almost used all of it.  So, I guess you're planning to top that.  We'll be right here when you have the photos.  :)

Walter Maxwell's photo was in the Penn catalog for years so he sort of became a folk hero in the shark fishing community that began in the late 1950's and, by 1966, had spread from Texas to Massachusetts.  The photo of his catch along the Grand Strand, SC went out on the AP wire and was widely distributed.  It, along with similar stories, is what first alerted the general public that big nasty sharks are not only in the deep blue seas, but are at the beach as well.  Maxwell's catch and others were thought to have a dampening effect on coastal tourism and helped spark the move to ban shark fishing form many piers and beaches.  It's a conflict that continues to today.  All this was the necessary precursor to the whole Jaws phenomenon that started nine years later.  That also continues to this day in the form of Shark Week and such.

Walter Maxwell was a stone mason, like our brother Sal.   He was also a devoted fish junkie.  An interesting guy who deserves to be remembered.  There are a half-dozen articles about him reprinted on the internet.  Check it out.

-steve

Steve, you must not have read my post.

As I stated, it's not the issue of getting the fish in. It's the issue of getting the fish in QUICK enough to ensure it doesn't die during release or after release from exhaustion.... I also said 2300, not 2600.

You ever notice how all these old time shark records have the person posing with a dead shark?! Go on Land Based Shark Fishing FB group or Worldwide Shark Fishing FB group. Sharks larger than these are being caught daily from beaches, measured, then set free due to the advancement of reel technology. Posting a photo of a dead shark and claiming a senator caught it, is proving my point...... I'm here to keep the fish alive.

You could land a shark on a 2/0 if you fought it for 5 hours until it's death. LBSF is about getting them in quick, and back out quick. It's no different than why we use 100# test for musky fishing on freshwater lakes. You get them in as quick as possible to ensure they don't die from the fight.

Thank you for the information and help though.

oc1

Quote from: specialblend07 on October 10, 2020, 12:12:38 PM
Go on Land Based Shark Fishing FB group or Worldwide Shark Fishing FB group. Sharks larger than these are being caught daily from beaches, measured, then set free due to the advancement of reel technology. Posting a photo of a dead shark and claiming a senator caught it, is proving my point...... I'm here to keep the fish alive.

I don't do Facebook but doubt they are catching world record tigers daily.  It sounds like you should have taken the advice of your Facebook buddies initially and not pursued the old 14/0.
-steve

specialblend07

Quote from: oc1 on October 10, 2020, 02:00:12 PM
Quote from: specialblend07 on October 10, 2020, 12:12:38 PM
Go on Land Based Shark Fishing FB group or Worldwide Shark Fishing FB group. Sharks larger than these are being caught daily from beaches, measured, then set free due to the advancement of reel technology. Posting a photo of a dead shark and claiming a senator caught it, is proving my point...... I'm here to keep the fish alive.

I don't do Facebook but doubt they are catching world record tigers daily.  It sounds like you should have taken the advice of your Facebook buddies initially and not pursued the old 14/0.
-steve

Thank you again for the advice, I'll take it into consideration

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

specialblend07

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 10, 2020, 02:31:35 PM
Quote from: happyhooker on October 10, 2020, 01:24:43 AM
Greetings, 07, from Minnesota.

Frank
Shark fishing in Minnesota?

Us northern folk are hoping someday soon they invent a mode of transportation to get us into waters that have sharks!