Started out chasing rust

Started by David Hall, February 25, 2021, 02:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

A few years ago I noticed rust beginning to build on one of my driveshaft scatter shields.  I had other problems to deal with that took precedence so I just logged it away for a rainy day project, end of Salmon season 2020 and what to do what to do.  I guess it's time for my rainy day project.

David Hall

Oops that's not a picture of my rusty crusty driveline!

David Hall

And chased more rust.  If I had been more careful removing the driveshaft I wouldn't have needed to order new boots for the CV joints. But since I did, I might as well take a look at the CV joints. I don't know how bad this is?  But looks like the ball bearings have been hanging up in the same spot for some time.

David Hall

Oh well the cages looked the same so order some new CV joint kits from Drivelines Northwest the west coast rep for  Aquadrive in Everett Wa.  And since this is all out of the boat might as well dig a little deeper.  This part I found to be one of those "what the heck is it? Amd what does it do".  I know a lot about it now. Cleaned up nicely.  I even did dye test for cracks, replaced the bearings as one was growling pretty badly,

David Hall

So some rust bullet paint, a lot of wire brushing and top coated with Mercury three part paint system, two coats of each for a total of 8 coats of finish. New CV Joints installed.

David Hall

Ugh now that I can see all the way down to the bottom of the transom things aren't looking so good here either. Manufacturer wanted $100 for that thin little tin bracket for the seastrainer, I had some leftover aluminum plate, so I Made one. A little bend here and there, a couple holes a bit of paint. I cleaned the fittings in and out and treated them with some kind of bronze protection coating inside and out and re installed it. 

thorhammer

Good looking work!

that looks like a crusty Dominick on your boat ladder!

Gfish

Makes me wonder what they made the scatter shield outta. I hate plastic, but sometimes...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

Rainy day project? Man, you must be getting a lot of rain!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hardy Boy

Nice work !! I thought for a min that Dom was getting rusty !! My buddy takes an aerosol can of corrosion X and sprays every thing in the engine compartment twice a year and that really keeps the rust down.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Dominick

Quote from: thorhammer on February 25, 2021, 01:48:55 PM
Good looking work!

that looks like a crusty Dominick on your boat ladder!

David was chasing rust.  He started to look at my rusty joints so I got away from him.  That was the day he and Rob stopped by my house to pay the vig with some crab.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

If nothing else one must always keep up with the Vig.
Yeah the rear shields are rolled carbon steel the front ones are aluminum.  A new set is 1k bucks from Mercury.  That little bearing housing is another 1100, cheaper to clean the rust replace the bearings and seal and paint.  The inner transom plate of the Bravo Sterndrive is perhaps the biggest problem on these older boats, this one happens to be 17yrs old and as far as I know I am the first one to do any PM work on it.  When they go bad the upper seal goes out and let's water in through the bellows or the lower bolts rust out and let water in through the transom.  It's a yikes! Kinda moment if either happens and potentially catastrophic, there has been more than one boat sunk from "bravoitis". The lower bolts inside the transom are really rusty but cleaned up pretty well, I can still see good square edges on the nuts, they're fused to the studs but since I am not removing the transom assembly at this time the goal was simply to stop the rust and prevent further damage for a couple more years before I have to replace it.  It's another major expense 3k in parts plus labor, shop quote came in at 5k installed.  I can probably do it myself for 3500 but still I'd like to get a couple years of no major expenses on it.  I might be dreaming about that but I believe I caught the damage early enough to keep it safe and reliable for two more seasons.  All it has to do is stay above water and get me out and back to the dock safely, everytime.