Line roller bearings for old SS reels

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 25, 2020, 03:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I know that at one point penn released an upgrade kit to add bearings to the line rollers for the old SS reels. I know the SSm reels have them already. I also know that the upgrade kits from penn are out of both production and stock everywhere I looked online. Of course that means i need to improvise. Because apparently I always need to improvise. But that's part of the fun.

I've always thought the bail wire on my 8500SS was excessively long. And I believe the wire on the 750SSm is longer than the wire on the 7500SS but shorter than the wire on my 8500SS. Can i just steal the bail we and line roller assembly from my 750SSm for my 8500SS? Or just the line roller assembly if not the bail wire too?

Is the only difference that they used a bearing the size of the existing bushings? If so I could just search for an appropriately sized bearing? I know the kit from penn replaced the whole wire and roller assembly so I'm not optimistic about that last bit.

I mean really I'm not super optimistic about the veracity of any of those potential assumptions. But that's never held me back before. Greatness requires boldness. But still measure twice, cut once, etc.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Rancanfish

I own zero Penn spinners, but I would say yes to matching the bushings to bearings.  Boca bearings site will have them. 

The rest re: bail applications, I know nothing.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

JasonGotaProblem

The 750SSm bail assembly fits. Everything on the line roller side lines up and the wire is shorter than the 8500 but still long enough to clear the spool when it's at its highest point. But the other side the screw is a part of the assembly for the 8500 and the 750 there's a small hole for a smaller screw. I'm totalpy gonna do that, but not this week. Gonna find the appropriate screw to match the 8500 rotor, and then drill the SSm's screw hole out a bit. Check all the boxes.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.