alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial 7year old lexa clutch
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 02, 2020, 05:25:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7year old lexa clutch  (Read 84 times)
jcallaham

« on: Today at 02:43:22 AM »

1st time here. my lexa has been acting up for some time. Put it ln free spool and cast , it will try to go back into gear,loud grinding noise. then it will be fine for week or so, doesn't do it again for a while. But finally it has bit the dust. I have read about people having issues with the clutch not engaging , disengaging.Iam not sure what clutch parts to order.Looks to me like key # 30 and 31. anybody have experience with this?
I would love to just go buy the new improved lexa but then I would just have to put this reel in the junk pile. Iam getting tired of that.
thanks Jim
nelz

« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:06:05 AM »

Welcome aboard Jim, glad to hear you're gonna fix 'um instead of trashing.

As for the problem, it doesn't sound like a roller clutch issue. When clutches go bad, the handle will fly backwards, but silently. My guess is it has some sort of gear failure, have you taken a look at the pinion gear?

Also, some part may have come loose internally and is jamming things up. If this reel has a backup dog for example, those can come apart sometimes.

Open it up, take a look, and let us know what you find...
Rancanfish
Firearms Group

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:03:30 AM »

Well, the bright side is a 7 year run.  I still have a 300 & 400 I haven't got wet yet.  I love the 400 I use.

Nelz is right, you have to take it apart to find the issue.  Daiwa probably still has parts.

I'm not sure that would be called a regular 'issue', if it worked fine for so long.

Tear it down, we can help if you post pics of what you find.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.
Lunker Larry

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:09:20 AM »

If it is the Lexa 300 or 400s they have an issue with the AR pawl disengaging causing all sort of issues. I've seen them break the yoke, jam up the gears and such. Just had one where it was in perfect shape but completely disengaged from the ratchet gear, still on the post but underneath it. Also there is a little clamped brass piece on the yoke that comes off causing the pinion to grind up the nylon yoke and the little clip ends up in all sorts of places. Here's a few pictures.
A pro staff for Lexa passed on my points and pictures to Daiwa and was told that issues have been addressed in the newer Lexas. No details.

* Lexa 2.jpg (344.07 KB, 1328x747 - viewed 1 times.)

* Lexa 400 Yoke.jpg (436.85 KB, 864x1152 - viewed 0 times.)

* Lexa AR pawls.jpg (412.55 KB, 864x1152 - viewed 0 times.)

* Lexa 3.jpg (344.7 KB, 1328x747 - viewed 0 times.)
« Last Edit: Today at 08:18:30 AM by Lunker Larry » Logged

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:32:57 AM »

I've seen them break the yoke, jam up the gears and such.

yup.......

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: