DAM Quick and Stripped Screws

Started by grekim, September 26, 2020, 02:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grekim

Quote from: Gfish on October 16, 2020, 03:22:20 AM
The line kinda looks like it's building up on the top of the spool, too. Maybe needs a slight tweak to raise up the spool. Possibly that might correct the "shudder" at the bottom of the shaft movement.
Is the spool able to be shimed on the 330? Prolly not, so you might gotta shim the bottom of the shaft, if possible, where the curved arm attaches.
Yeah, I love that "elegant and simple" DAM engineering. It looks so durable.

Which one you like better; the 330 or the Super?

Actually, I bought that spool with the line already on it, but good catch in any case!  The reel originally came with the wrong spool, a "junior".  In terms of the engineering, I like the Super better so far.  You can also easily get at the drag stack too.  I have not fished either one yet.  I did fish a 550 for the first time last weekend and really liked it.  Absolutely no wind knots and I was worried I might have had a tad too much line on the spool, whereas on a Mitchell I am usually due for one wind knot under similar conditions.

I tend to agree about putting a shim somewhere.  It has to be something minor.
Educating fish on every trip

grekim

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

An interesting update on the 330 shudder issue:  A recent purchase of a Finessa (predecessor to the 330) came with a schematic.  I was surprised to see that there are TWO different lever arms that one can use to connect the main crank gear to the shaft.  Of course, I was using the right-hand arm in an otherwise left-hand set up (reversing the plates and so forth).  I feel a bit foolish, but I had no idea.  I'm glad I barely used it in the incorrect setup, although I think it arrived this way.  I will post pictures of the two arms, but they are certainly easy to tell apart, the right-hand arm being brass and with an extra fitting.  I am not sure if these reels came with both arms at the time?  

By the way, I had a great outing with the Finessa, catching many small striped bass in a shallow harbor.  The drag felt smooth and adequate even for these powerful fish.  I was using a modern not-so-expensive rod which was a little underguned, but next time I am taking a Browning Silaflex which is more fitting anyway.
Educating fish on every trip