6 more days!!!!

Started by alantani, September 26, 2020, 10:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

My buddy was on an RP trip just prior to this; they killed it on fishing inshore north of Cedros on a similar pattern.  Just prior to them the Polaris Supreme hit the same area on a charter and nailed it.  I suspect they will plunk around there for a few days loading up and then finish off the trip hunting bluefin off the SoCal coast up around Clemente island.  I bet they are nailing it! - john

Bill B

Just checked the marine traffic website, looks like they are on the backside of San Clemente Island now.  Hopefully they are slaying the bluefin out there....good luck fellas.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

Looks like they are heading back to the Port.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Probably getting more bait.

Maxed Out

Got a text, and all I gotta say is.....

....never doubt the gnome with a red hat !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

MarkT

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 09, 2020, 10:44:56 PM
Looks like they are heading back to the Port.
Well, they do return to port early tomorrow!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

We had to return to port 12 hours early due to a health issue with a crewman, we are trying up now...  We did well and yesterday landed several BFT from 100# to 337#.  We also got a few wahoo, lots of YT and dorado.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

The BFT were all on the kite?  What was the health issue?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Maxed Out

Wow wow, super cow !!

Congrats !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bill B

Hope the crewman is ok! A 377 bluefin?  Wow....can't wait for the report......good job everyone and hope everyone is safe....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Taped weight was 337 but "new" weight guess is around 320.

Not sure on the deckhand yet.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

scrinch

Here's a photo of Mike's kite BFT.

scrinch

Here's a brief description of the trip. Alan will fill in the details after he gets back home.

After picking up good sized sardines for bait, we headed down the coast on day 1. Traveled the rest of the day. Late morning day 2 we got to our first stop and fished the rest of the day for yellowtail, averaging about 2 fish each along with plenty of bonito, a few calicos, and a few sheephead. That night we headed farther south for more yellowtail fishing. We arrived at our stop in the morning of day 3 and spent all day on a good yellowtail bite. That evening we motored into a bay to escape wind and chop that had built up during the day. On the morning of day 4 we ventured offshore in search of kelps holding dorado and/or wahoo. After a long morning of no success, we finally found the right kelp paddy, and we easily limited on a wide open dorado bite. We continued our search for wahoo and eventually caught 4 on a kelp. That evening we steered inland and northward to begin our trip back up the coast toward the bluefin tuna in US waters. The morning of day 5 we poked around at a number of potential yellowtail spots while traveling north along the coast before finally ending up back at our first day 2 stop where we picked up another couple of yellowtail per rod. Day 6 was to be a travel day up to the bluefin grounds, but we found another kelp paddy along the way that held hundreds of good sized dorado and small 5-8 lb yellowfin tuna. We drifted off of that kelp for an hour or two with the school of fish following us. It was a wide open bite the entire time, with baits just lasting seconds in the water before being hit. Fishing there was mostly catch and release since the tuna were small and we already had as much dorado as we wanted. After we exhausted ourselves there, we continued north toward the big tuna. We arrived in the tuna grounds being San Clemente Island in the mid-morning of day 7. We spent several hours looking for sign of the big BFT where it was reported that they were being caught, but no luck. We decided to move north where smaller tuna had been reported, but before we got there we bumped into big schools of the jumbos we had been looking for. Once found in the late afternoon, we got about ten to bite, mostly on the kite, and landed the majority of them. There were a few 60 lb yellowfin caught on bait as well. After dark Alan was able to coax one to bite a flatfall jig, but that was it for the night. Weight estimates were 150-300 lbs for the bluefins. We spent the night on the sea anchor that night, and started fishing an hour before dawn on day 8, hoping to get another hot bite on the kite (using flying fish as bait). By 9am we had a few bites and landed one fish when a medical issue came up with one of the crew. At that point we had to pull the anchor, put away the fishing gear, and get the crewman the medical attention he needed. We pulled back up to the dock at 7pm on day 8, about 9 hours earlier than scheduled.

I think everyone on the trip would agree that it was, as Alan predicted, epic. We had good fishing overall, with periods of wide open bites on yellowtail, dorado, football yellowfin, and giant bluefin (on the kite). The weather was good for the most part, the food was good, and the companionship was pure ohana.

oc1

That was a very nice write-up.  Thank you.
-steve

Marc Fong

Thanks for the report. Makes me want to sign up!