Started by Crow, September 27, 2020, 11:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

You guys are blessed with an awesome fishery,

That is some whackey fishing Don!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Donnyboat

Thanks Gobi, we went out again today, Pat caught the first fish, a Dhu fish it was 49.5 cms, legal size is 50 cms, shucks, then I caught a 54 cm Dhu, not long after, Pat caught a double header, a Dhu fish, & a blue bone grouper, ball chin grouper, or a Tusk fish, there are several variety of them, but we have a unique species, on the west coast of Western Australia, we have taken a picture of the one that Pat caught today, hopefully our old mate Wayne O, can blow it up & place it here for every one to see, if you google blue bone grouper, you will get about thirty different, fish,. by the way the Dhu fish was under size as well. poor Pat.
     Jeff thanks for your question, on catching the two fish, the samson fish, like the yellow tail king fish will fight all the way to the surface, the Dhu fish will fight good for a short time, when down deep, then barrow trawma set in & there dont fight much after that, but a different story when you hook the in shellow water 12 to 14 m, they really turn it on then. I caught to snapper as well, so came home with a good feed again, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Don sent me these photos and asked if I would post on the site.

Here you go Don!!!   Looks like several great meals for sure!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

El Pescador

And a repeat preformance!!!!

Don with a new western AU species of fish we have not seen before.

Blue Bone Grouper

http://www.wildbushluxury.com/blog/bluebone-groper

Detail shot:

Need some information from you Don!!!!

- How do you catch these fish?
- Best way to cook them??

Inquiring minds....

Wayne

Donnyboat

Thanks a million once more, Wayne, I have already commented on the blue bone, I am not sure how big they grow, this one was 47 Cms, I have caught them to 68 Cms, eating quality, they say coral trout are the best to eat, but the Dhu fish & the Blue bone are right up there.
      as I have explained before Wayne, we like to fry our fish in a thin beer batter, this helps to retain the moisture in the flesh, & like most fish do not over cook it, or it turns into leather. they all have nice white flesh. this breed of blue bone are caught from the south of the West coast, up to sharks bay, they are very plentiful @ the Abrolis islands, they are North west of Dongara, up to West South West of Kalbarrie,
      the blue bone are caught with many baits, octopus, squidd & shell fish like small crabs, the minimum size is 40 Cms, thanks you again Wayne you are a good asset, not only to me, the forum in general, we have till October 15, then the demersible fishing closes till December 16, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Sharkb8

It's a sand grouper holdings the fish but I don't know what type of grouper that is?

Kim

Donnyboat

Thanks Kim, when Pat was younger, she told me I was a grouper, I dont think she was refering to my good looks though, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Wayne - Thanks for putting Don's photos up!  I have to say that blue bone grouper "almost" sorta looks like a distant Aussie relative of our SoCal sheepshead - roughly same kind of body shape and looks like some serious jaws for crunching shellfish off the bottom.  Those look like some good eating, beer batter or not!  Great to see you getting in some trips and showing us how it's done! - john

Donnyboat

Thanks John, yes they do have strong tough teeth for there size, I think they would eat a lot of shells, I have sent Wayne some pics of the spine, & will send more after I eat the flesh from then, then all will be able to see the blue bones, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

7-10-020, Pat & I had the boat in the water 5:30 am, early sea breeze forecast, so we were trying to make some new marks, dropping our lines near rocklobster pots, we managed to get 1, 62 Cm Dhuey, home early, maybe good again on Friday, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Don sent me these photos to post with some information regarding what you are viewing.

Hi Mr Wayne, two pic here, first pic shows the blue bone spine, & the other is from a snapper spine they quite often have these nodule in the spine, also the snapper here in West Aussie,
have large humps on top of there head, compared with the snapper in South Aussie or on the East coast,

cheers Don.

As Spock would say on the TV Show Star Trek...  "Fascinating Jim!"

Wayne

Crow

Ole' Mother nature sure has some strange "kids', don't she ?!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Brewcrafter

you weren't kidding about the blue bones! - john

Gfish

Whoa, looks like bone tumors.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Thanks Wayne for posting the pics of the blue bone spine, sure is blue ay, yes many of the snapper, have the nodules on there spine, I just cant explain it, but interesting, keep well stay safe, cheers Don, thanks again Wayne.
Don, or donnyboat