Fenwick 670 130lb Class

Started by OldSchool, September 27, 2020, 12:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on November 10, 2020, 08:12:37 PM
That was the mid 70's and maybe a quarter mile up Menemsha Creek from the basin the Orca was a derelict pulled up on the dunes rotting away and forgotten except as a curiosity.
Mid-1970's.  Darn, the movie hadn't even run it's course yet.  How soon they forget.
-s

Miles Offshore

Great thead yall. Ive been fishing and recently started collecting old browns since the 70's myself. Love all this history, thanks.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

quintmundus

I'm gonna give this horse one last kick. Thanks 1badf350 for citing an old post of mine. I think I can offer some facts to clear up any question that the rod used in Jaws had a hypalon-covered steel butt. The 670 was part of the Deluxe line. The fiberglass butt was a part of the Offshore series, and was model 673.

With different (cheaper) guides, and 3 lines circling the butt, it is difficult to see how the rods could be confused. Also, Offshore series rods did not have the 670's Varmac R*SH heavy-duty seat, instead using the less-costly R*S. This is visible in the catalog picture above in the thread. Note that the fiberglass butt for the Deluxe series has at the very bottom, a ball-shaped slotted end. The butt in the movie does not have this.

The Fenwick: Fenwick's History and Rods, Including the Development of the First Graphite Rod explains:

"1971: Fenwick added a fourth series of big game rods called its Offshore series. The Offshore series had the same blank as the Deluxe series, plus a new unbreakable fiberglass butt design. The main difference between the Offshore series and the "high-end" Deluxe series was that the Deluxe series had more expensive roller guides."

I think pics are maxed out in this thread, see the link below for more details in an excerpt from the book.

https://imgur.com/a/j0zr5ul