Shimano Torium 14

Started by Eddie Hernandez, September 27, 2020, 11:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveL

Quote from: Cor on February 16, 2021, 09:02:35 AM
Thanks Steve, another good idea.   Initially I could not follow what was done there, then I clicked on the "Quote from: Kayote on 28-02-2015, 07:13:14" and the link was intact and took me directly to the original post.

Still not 100% but I think I got it.

Ill report back here.    I have extremely little space above the bearing outer and the reel side?

Just to be clear, we don't want to get the washer into the space between the end the of IAR casing and the sideplate.  

We just want to wedge the oval washer into the casing so it can dig in under pressure and have enough friction to push the casing out.  

Cor

Cornelis

alantani

i was thinking that it might be possible to find a big heavy bolt to screw into the stuck case from the bottom, then pound it out from the top, but that would be a long shot..  this way looks better!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Thanks everyone for the ideas.   I don't have time at the moment but have the owners permission to do whatever may be necessary.

Alan, Remember "Rawl" Bolts that expanded into a hole?   Duno if you still get them or something similar.

He knows there is a good chance he will end up with a reel for spares.

I'll post here what happened.
Cornelis

alantani

redfish12

did you try pb blaster? I think last time this happened to me I used a small file and just ground slowly flat against remaining bearing until I could work a flat head in to the gap to carefully pry the piece apart. I think the file I used was oval which helped to keep from nicking the top.

Cor

Cornelis

alantani

i'm certain that these will work.  wish i would have seen these years ago!!!!!

Cor

Cornelis

alantani

Mic

You know,
I can't really express just how much I've learned from all of you. Experience is an unbeatable educator.

I broke a bolt off in the head of an engine. Options were to get it out or replace the head. I had about 3/16 of bolt shaft sticking out of the head.

I cleaned the head to where some of that blue painters tape would stick. I taped around the head bolt, and threaded a nut on the part of the bolt that was sticking out. Filled the remainder of the nut with JB Weld gel and heated it with a hair dryer and let it cure overnight

Next morning, I spun it right out. And then gave thanks !

Mic

Cor

Quote from: SteveL on February 16, 2021, 10:07:37 AM
Quote from: Cor on February 16, 2021, 09:02:35 AM
Thanks Steve, another good idea.   Initially I could not follow what was done there, then I clicked on the "Quote from: Kayote on 28-02-2015, 07:13:14" and the link was intact and took me directly to the original post.

Still not 100% but I think I got it.

Ill report back here.    I have extremely little space above the bearing outer and the reel side?

Just to be clear, we don't want to get the washer into the space between the end the of IAR casing and the sideplate. 

We just want to wedge the oval washer into the casing so it can dig in under pressure and have enough friction to push the casing out. 

Thanks Steve, I managed to get it off your way, pluss lots of penetrating oil,  some heat and two sockets.
Cornelis

alantani

i bought a set of these to insert into the stuck case, but have not had a chance to try them yet. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNL9DSZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

oldmanjoe

It`s hard to find micro internal pullers , so here are some things that worked for me .
    Two allen wrenches as apposing levers
    A cotter pin bent in to a anchor shape
     Or make a puller from a snap ring pliers , bending and grinding required
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Lunker Larry

I have a drill bit for my dremmel that's made for enlarging holes. It cuts from the side of the bit. Don't know if it would work on that hardened steel though.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?