V spool

Started by Swami805, October 20, 2020, 09:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

As most things start with me I saw a frame and spool on eBay for a 4500 so I bought it. I had almost everything I needed to put a reel together except a spool shaft. Back to eBay I go and see this gizmo. Look good on paper so I bought it thinking it would solve my lack of spool shaft which it does sort of. It also came with another piece that is supposed to disengage the level wind when casting. Anyone ever tried one of these?  I've been fooling with it and a few different side plate combinations but haven't found one that works yet. Before I dig myself any deeper looking for advice from anyone who's used one. Thanks!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

Here's the back of the package and part of the instructions
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

I dont know the answer but interested on the outcome of this gizmo.

by the way, that's a REAL   V-spool, not the current ones with a small dip in the middle and call them V-spool 
The Baja Guy

oc1

Now, that's really something.  A reel upgrade from back when reel upgrades were not much of a thing.  Never heard of it though.

From the reel models it fits, it must have been from about 1978 to 1982.  I think the first v-spool reel was the Childre /Ryobi BB1.  People seemed to like the v-spool idea more than the BB1 itself with the unusual (at that time) shape.  Childre died in 1977 and the Ryobi V-Mag series cane out some years later.
-steve