okuma Contoura CR-553 antireverse problem (sideplate problem)

Started by steelfish, September 29, 2020, 07:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, after some reseach on why this reel have a broken dragplate that suports the antireverse pawl, found out that the platic or graphite sideplate where you install the one-way bearing or antireverse bearing just "gave up" and now the antireverse bearing have some play, the backplay between the base of the sideplate and the IAR Bearing is enough to activate the pawl against the ratched but now the real problem is that the post (both) where the antireverse pawl is supported is also of graphite, I dont know how much drag those graphite post can handle but not much before the gave up again.

the sideplate for that reel is pretty hard to find (didnt had any luck) I might have to call okuma on this one but normally all sideplates are "expensive" compared to getting another reel, considering this is a "B-grade" reel ($100 mark), so, now my question is:

this is my first time dealing with a reel with IAR Bearing on a graphite sideplate that gave up before the Bearing, so, do you guys think is there a way to add thin sheets of metal or something aroung the IAR bearing case to make a really tight fit again into the sideplate?

on the pics you can see a flat screwdriver inside the bearing tube, I can move the case of the IAR bearing agains the sideplate for 3-4mm, if I check the IAR outside the sideplate it works as it should.

my friend actually dont want to spend much on it, he already bought the antiverse pawl and the clutch lever, its not my cup of tea but he wants to glue the IAR case to the sideplate and call it a day!  I just wanted to check with you guys if you have tried another option since the sideplate is almost unobtainium.
The Baja Guy

boon

I'd be filling out the IAR hole with something like Knead-it then dremeling it back until the IAR was snug again.

Actually, who am I kidding, it is as you say a "B-grade" reel. Epoxy the IAR in place, and when it finally dies, upgrade the reel.

Cor

I have a OKUMA CONTURA  CR-453CS which I bought 2009.   I can't see from the picture if it is the same or similar to your reel.

I pensioned it in 2013 after a 4 year love/hate relationship.   I actually caught a lot of fish on it and it still works but required to much innovative repair work and constant attention.   The worst was when the rivets that hold the foot in place sheared right of the frame.

The service I received from the Chinese was exceptional, when something broke and required a part, I complained and soon a substitute would arrive free of charge in the mail all the way from where it was made.
Cornelis

Maybe We Can Fix It

You can glue the IAR in place, but you have to be careful to glue it in the right position, too high or too low in the side plate and it will not allow the proper spacing for there gear assembly and hold plate to fit back together properly, or the drag will not function when the star is tightened down, hitting the IAR.
"Maybe We Can Fix It" Reel Repair
Scott Rodriguez
Owner/Operator
Factory Trained Technician

maybewecanfixit@gmail.com

Instagram: @maybewecanfixit_reelrepair

Website Coming Soon!!

steelfish

thanks for the recomendation, the IAR was epoxied to the sideplate and now the reel feels more sturdy on the antireverse when you try to move the handle backwards, I dont know how strong it will be on the long run but considering this is a "economic" reel it was a good option instead of trying to buy a new sideplate and get the same weak plastic
The Baja Guy

Porthos

Quote from: steelfish on October 26, 2020, 07:12:02 PM
...instead of trying to buy a new sideplate and get the same weak plastic

When I did this repair:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31216.0

...Okuma no longer had the Clarion side-plate in stock. Fortunately, before I called them, I was able to confirm, by phyiscally swapping, my CT-15L side plate was an exact fit to the CLR-203L, so it was the CT-15L right side plate I ordered (under $6) and not the CLR-203L right side plate.

It is a gamble, but I believe there is a good chance that the Catalina, Clarion, and Contura reels of similar size shared the same frame hole pattern in the injection molds for their side plates; there may be a chance that the Convector Series may also be the same. This potentially opens up the possibility of the CT-55's, CLR-553's, and possibly the CV-55's have interchangeable right side plates. If you have access to units of any of these other reels it's an easy check. Otherwise, unsure if anyone at Okuma will going to the parts room and do this cross-check for you.