Magging a Squidder

Started by beachbob, September 30, 2020, 01:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

This and 4:1 gearing might have Squidder still in production- and a lot of other reels never going into production....I've often thought a magged, 145 Magnum in billet to be a perfect dream for a lot of applications- especially drum fishing.

Cor

Quote from: oc1 on September 30, 2020, 10:52:46 PM
Just wave one magnet against another to know if they attract or repel.
-steve
That the simplest way and works for me.    I lately use only one 10 X 3 mm Rare Earth magnet.   I prefer an adjustable Mag as you must change setting for different lines (mono or braid) or wind direction and strength.
Cornelis

oc1

I've magged two 146 Squidders with aluminum spools.  They were perhaps the most difficult reel I have put magnets in because there is very little room for them.

Old Langley baitcasters are easy to mag..  Once you get the number of magnets close by stacking them inside the sideplate, you can make make fine adjustments in the field by sticking them to the outside of the sideplate.  The outside magnets will attract to the inside magnets and hold in place.  You could probably knock them off the outside accidentally, but it hasn't happened so far.

-s

jurelometer

Have you folks run into any problems with corrosion, especially in salt water?

Looks like the washers are zinc plated, and the magnets are nickel plated.  Both washers and magnets are very easily corroded if a scratch penetrates the coating, and zinc should act as a sacrificial anode where it contacts the nickel, eventually disappearing.

They make triple plated (nickel/copper/nickel?), and also epoxy coated nedynium magnets.  Samarium cobalt is more corrosion resistant, but looks to be only around half as strong as neodymium at room temperature.   A fun fact that I just found out:  neodymium magnets  loose strength as they get warmer.

If there are some 400 series stainless washers available, they would probably fare better in terms of both surface and galvanic corrosion.  Not sure if the magnetic attraction would be strong enough.   Steve's method of using only magnets also gets rid of the zinc problem and holds the magnets the most securely.

Or is a bit of grease and routine maintenance good enough?

-J

beachbob

Don't overthink the magging of vintage Penn reels.  I use slow set epoxy for the washers, they're totally encased in epoxy (thin top coat).  A wipe of reel grease over the mags and it's a done deal.
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Brandon G

So I did it! I magged my squidder....... then broke some of the bakelite trying to get the headplate on. Not that the magnets had anything to do with it, just happened right after.

I'm excited to try it out. I plan on working down the magnets but I want to start at 4 first.

Magnets were bought from Lee Valley as well as the cups.
I was going to do the flat washer route but the Lee Valley product is so nice.

Tight Lines :)

oc1

Brandon, did you glue those cups in?  Their site says the cups increase the magnetic attraction by a factor of four.  How does that work?  Are the cups themselves magnetic.

Too bad about the crack, but good job anyway.
-steve

beachbob

Good job, BG!

Lee Valley cups were the way most of us static magged a decade or more ago.  I no longer use cups because they limit magnet stacking, for adjusting both the height, and to a degree the size of the magnets, and they add to the cost ;) .  I think it'll be just fine in your case. however.  You can also use a lower (N42) or higher (N52) grade of neodymium rare earth magnets to tailor the inductance/eddy fields.  Staggering the poles will increase eddy currents, so flipping all magnets to one pole will somewhat reduce braking.  So, for sure static magging reels can be adjusted, just not on the fly as with a knobby mono mag.

revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Brandon G

Quote from: oc1 on January 26, 2021, 12:05:31 AM
Brandon, did you glue those cups in?  Their site says the cups increase the magnetic attraction by a factor of four.  How does that work?  Are the cups themselves magnetic.

Too bad about the crack, but good job anyway.
-steve

The cups themselves are not magnetic. Not sure how they'd increase the effectiveness of the magnets.

The Crack is fixed essentially... at least until it's replacement comes.
Tight Lines :)