alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Magging a Squidder
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
January 16, 2021, 04:32:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magging a Squidder  (Read 822 times)
thorhammer
Firearms Group

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 09:49:49 AM »

This and 4:1 gearing might have Squidder still in production- and a lot of other reels never going into production....I've often thought a magged, 145 Magnum in billet to be a perfect dream for a lot of applications- especially drum fishing.
Cor
Cape Town
Firearms Group

I am probably fishing......

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 10:40:22 AM »

Just wave one magnet against another to know if they attract or repel.
-steve
That the simplest way and works for me.    I lately use only one 10 X 3 mm Rare Earth magnet.   I prefer an adjustable Mag as you must change setting for different lines (mono or braid) or wind direction and strength.

Cornelis
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »

I've magged two 146 Squidders with aluminum spools.  They were perhaps the most difficult reel I have put magnets in because there is very little room for them.

Old Langley baitcasters are easy to mag..  Once you get the number of magnets close by stacking them inside the sideplate, you can make make fine adjustments in the field by sticking them to the outside of the sideplate.  The outside magnets will attract to the inside magnets and hold in place.  You could probably knock them off the outside accidentally, but it hasn't happened so far.

-s
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 11:47:00 AM by oc1 » Logged
jurelometer

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 12:27:47 PM »

Have you folks run into any problems with corrosion, especially in salt water?

Looks like the washers are zinc plated, and the magnets are nickel plated.  Both washers and magnets are very easily corroded if a scratch penetrates the coating, and zinc should act as a sacrificial anode where it contacts the nickel, eventually disappearing.

They make triple plated (nickel/copper/nickel?), and also epoxy coated nedynium magnets.  Samarium cobalt is more corrosion resistant, but looks to be only around half as strong as neodymium at room temperature.   A fun fact that I just found out:  neodymium magnets  loose strength as they get warmer.

If there are some 400 series stainless washers available, they would probably fare better in terms of both surface and galvanic corrosion.  Not sure if the magnetic attraction would be strong enough.   Steve's method of using only magnets also gets rid of the zinc problem and holds the magnets the most securely.

Or is a bit of grease and routine maintenance good enough?

-J
beachbob

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 02:32:33 PM »

Don't overthink the magging of vintage Penn reels.  I use slow set epoxy for the washers, they're totally encased in epoxy (thin top coat).  A wipe of reel grease over the mags and it's a done deal.

revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: