Corrosion prevention for electrical connectors

Started by Gobi King, September 30, 2020, 06:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I was upgrading my Minn Kota trolling motor with IPilot last weekend. The instructions forbid any kind of dielectric grease etc on the connectors.

Why I wondered.

Anyway, what would be a good "grease" to coat electrical connectors for corrosion prevention, like the head light connector in an automobile.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Wolli

CorrosionX (oil) and CorrosionX Heavy Duty (grease) make a very good job.
Use it also on connectors in my car.

have a look:
www.practical-sailor.com/systems-propulsion/electrical/practical-sailor-tests-spray-on-protection-for-electronics-and-electrical-systems

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Gobi King

Danke, [great article, thanks for the link]
I have corro products,
But wait, TC-11, [must not buy another .....must resist, resistance er conductance is important]

:-)

I have a duramax diesel and it was a zillion connectors under the vehicle for actuators for trans, diff, gawd knows what, I am going to take off the connectors and lightly spray a bit of corro and button it up again.
Fichigan

Rancanfish

I've used OxGard on every electrical connection for the past 15 years or so.  At ACE Hardware.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Your local auto parts store has spray cans of protectant for car battery cable connectors(NCP2 Battery Corrosion preventative). Spray it on all your terminal connectors. Thin coat is all you need and once it dries you'll be good to go for a loooong time.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Brewcrafter

Not that I am questioning it, but I wonder why dielectric grease was "verboten" in this application?  I know, all greases have specific formulations for a specific purpose, but this sounds like...the specific purpose.  Just curious. - john

Gobi King

Fichigan

Gfish

Interesting. I use d.e.g. on my fish finder connections(to the battery), no problems for about 4 months. Alot less amps than you're dealing with, though. I hate when I get orders to do/not-do something with no explaination.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alan Matsuno