Nice to have tools. One off sockets or end wrenches?

Started by JoseCuervo, October 01, 2020, 04:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoseCuervo

I've been through this sub forum and didn't see an answer, so please forgive me in advance if I overlooked something;

Clearly, one does not need a roll around chest full of auto mechanics tools to service fishing reels. Penn mainly in my case.

I have a Flambeau or other type small tool box in a gear bag whenever I fish, just in case. It has flat and Philips screwdrivers (standard / stubby, plus pocketsize), ALAN'S AWESOME SAUCE handle nut wrench, a 1/16" pin punch, a spare handle lock screw or two, Allen head bits that fit CC screws, etcetera. A couple of ringed rod clamps..

It also has the old Penn wrench in it, and always will.

My question(s) is, or are, what end wrench(es) or single or a couple of sockets with either a driver or ratchet replace the Penn wrench? In other words, what size is the eccentric nut? Is a Cortez eccentric nut the same as stock? How about the spool bushing on a Beachmaster or similar? The Penn wrench seems to always do what I need it to, but I know the jaw end is bent and barely does what I need it to. Most of my reels, and aside from the small current kit, all of my tools (the aforementioned roll around) are at the family homestead. If I was there I'd figure this out on my own so I hope I am not imposing. How about the rotor nut on a 6500SS? I have one coming I will need to go through. I doubt I have something on hand for that.

A couple of odd sockets or end wrenches / nut drivers would be nice to always have on hand too.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Bill B

I believe if you had a 3/8 and 5/16 wrenches it would cover most of the conventional penn.  I have no clue about the rotor nut.  Maybe a set from 9/16 down to 5/16. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JoseCuervo

Thanks Bill. So far, at least for a stock Squidder, the eccentric bolt is 11/32" (same for the stainless Cortez Conversions on a JM) and the rotor nut on the 6500SS is 1/2".

This gets me started.

Bill B

JoseCuervo

Bill, I would not even say 'way' off.. Both of those sizes are within 1/16 of an inch of being correct so far, which happens to also be about as bent as I thought my Penn wrench was or must have been. Even being 1/16th off [larger] allows the use of the tool(s), barely. Barely can keep you fishing!

Rob

oc1

I'm always trying to cut back how much stuff I have to carry fishing because of very limited on-board storage.  I start a kit with the wrench that came with the reel being used.  It will usually do the job of a handful of real tools and takes up almost no space..
-steve

Gfish

A 4 or 6" spanner would handle many of the nuts on reels---an all in one nut tool along with your screwdrivers and other tools(a pin punch?), also a needle-nose pliers.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JoseCuervo

Quote from: Gfish on October 02, 2020, 02:39:50 PM
A 4 or 6" spanner would handle many of the nuts on reels---an all in one nut tool along with your screwdrivers and other tools(a pin punch?), also a needle-nose pliers.

Do you mean an adjustable crescent wrench? Those are pretty heavy, but would work.

I keep all reel tools together so the punch always tags along. You never know either when a gear sleeve might need to come off!

foakes

A few years ago, I set up a GO-BAG of essential tools for when away from the shop on a fishing trip, at a show booth, or whatever.  Guys know I work on reels -- so they generally have issues for me to solve.

This is more than needed -- weighs about 12 pounds -- but handy as heck.

If I needed to get by with something lighter and less -- the green tray would do everything needed.  Just add a small bottle of oil and one of grease.  Really wouldn't even need as much as on this tray.

Anything deeper or damaged badly -- would just be switched out with a back-up reel -- and repaired when I got home.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Fred is that why we have so many reels.......dont need to fix a balky reel, just pull another from the bag....Thats my story and Im sticking to it, at least thats what I tell the wife... ;D ;D ;D   Bill