Fort Bragg Albacore Chasing 9/29/20

Started by Crab Pot, October 01, 2020, 09:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Got an invite to join my buddy Gregg and his friend James to chase Longfin out of Fort Bragg on Tuesday/Wednesday and he didn't have to ask twice.

Splashed at Dark-Thirty and found 61 degree weather within sight of the Noyo Bridge, however it was still dark so we went further west to some 64 degree water about 10 miles due west.

When the sun finally came up through the fog and smoke we could see we were in good colored water and set our 10 lines spread. We trolled for hours and not a hint of fish. Judging by the channel 10 radio chatter were weren't alone in hooking up so Captain Gregg said lets roll the dice and head north west to Vizcanio Canyon where there was a temp break of 60-64 degree water.

Turned out to be a good call. Within 45 minutes we had a double on zucchini/Mexican flag clones and hopes went up.

That was the highlight of the day.

An hour or so later we managed a single.

All were Peanuts.

Seems the time to be out was 6-8 days prior. Looks like the fish have moved north to Shelter Cove and beyond for the season.

We were supposed to hunt Longfins both days but decided to cut our loses and bring meat home. The next day we motored south and took some quality rock fish including a pig Cabezon. Which as good call because the stubborn tuna chasers, according to the radio, were very fuelish...

Great time regardless.

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

ReelFishingProblems

That looks like a pretty great trip. Enough meat to make it worth it, and what looks like a pretty good time on the water.
My dream life is having a few buddies to go out fishing with on a frequent enough basis for the kind of fish that make amazing table fare. Your trip seems to check those boxes. I am jealous!

Hardy Boy

That's Albacore fishing....................... they can be elusive and its a big Ocean out there. At least you got some and picked up some bottom fish on the way home. That what we usually do up here also. Nice looking vessel.

Cheers

Todd
Todd

Dominick

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on October 01, 2020, 09:48:44 PM
That looks like a pretty great trip. Enough meat to make it worth it, and what looks like a pretty good time on the water.
My dream life is having a few buddies to go out fishing with on a frequent enough basis for the kind of fish that make amazing table fare. Your trip seems to check those boxes. I am jealous!

Buy a boat and you will quickly acquire loads of "friends."  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: Dominick on October 01, 2020, 09:53:15 PM
Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on October 01, 2020, 09:48:44 PM

Buy a boat and you will quickly acquire loads of "friends."  Dominick

The Army has to stop moving me around / overseas so much! I promise you, as soon as I'm out, there is nothing getting in the way of my boat/new friends!  ;D

ReelFishingProblems

It looks like you had a variety of setups, to include some custom Penn reels.
Do you mind sharing what gear you used?

Crab Pot

Hum, reels used:

2x's Tiburon converted Penn 114 Senators

1 Penn Torque 30

1 Penn Fathom 30 (?) two speed

Penn 50LW (this is mine, don't laugh it's perfect for these fish and you don't have to worry about the spool) we used this on the Shotgun/Dredge line.

3x's Penn 114

2x's Tuna Cord Meat Lines

No need to get too fancy. Each mono reel was 100# test and the Torque/Fathom had 65# braid line with 100# clone leader.

Penn 144 reels are really all you need.

ReelFishingProblems

Thanks for sharing. Seems like some solid workhorses in that line-up

Crab Pot

Miscounted the Penn Torques, there were two.

I'm in muscle recovery Rx mode!

Getting Old Sucks... ::)

Donnyboat

Thank you Mr Pot, nice report, good pictures, great memories, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat