Gun oil on reels?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, October 02, 2020, 01:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Is that a thing? All this talk of penn oil, what about rem oil?

(Yes i know there are plenty of better oils. Those too.)
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gobi King

My guns get TSI 321, so yes  ;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

RowdyW

Get the best TS 301 or TS 321. 301 has a cleaner in it but 321 is prefered. Just a drop will do ya.

RemOil is a poor gun oil in my opinion. Remington is a bust now anyway. I have used Hoppe's gun oil on my reels with no I'll effects but I only use Rocket oil on bearings.

Tiddlerbasher

TSI 321 - I use it on reels, guns tools everything - if it is supposed to move it gets the treatment ;D

JasonGotaProblem

Yeah rem oil is garbage. It just sounded like a more interesting way to phrase the question.

I like breakfree and hoppes personally. I do like rem oil as an exterior coating though for things i wanna protect but don't want to have a lasting greasy feel. Thats sorta what got me thinking about it: maybe it would be good on my polished aluminum reel you're all likely sick of hearing about.

So you guys use reel oil in your guns huh? I figured heat would be a concern. Reels get hot, but not thaaaat hot.

Not a gun nut but i did build a beautiful precision piece out of a former police-issue S&W 65-2 that's older than me a few years back.

Man that reminds me i haven't shot in a while. Need to change that.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gobi King

How an oil dries is my test if I will use it,

My stuff sits, I mean sits and gets dusty, some reels or guns get shot one every 16 months, when pick up one of these the brown dried sticky layers makes me want to puke as now I have to bust out the cleaning kit and relube it.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

TSI 321 was originally developed for NASA not specifically fishing reels.
The manufactures website:
https://detectorbuy.com/tsi-321-01

foakes

I have used many oils for reels over the last 40+ years of servicing tackle -- the best I have found is a product called WRL 191S.

Few people know about this product outside of the industries who use it by the 55 gallon drums.

It is an industrial grade oil used primarily for a steel cable lubricant where moisture and water is an issue.

WRL -- Wire Rope Lubricant

A gallon lasts me about 3 years -- and I am on my fourth gallon since I started using it.

It is slightly thicker and milkier than normal reel oil, synthetic, water and salt water resistant, able to hold up to extreme temps, and will not get gummy or set up after a few years of non-use.  I use it with a micro needle bottle.  Non-Petroleum, biodegradable, safe, non-flammable.

A gallon is between $47.00 to $85.00 -- depending on where you get it from.

It is used extensively in the railroad industry, emergency services, military, as well as being tested by NASA for their use (it has supposedly passed 2 of the 3 major tests to be put to use full time by NASA).

I have used it exclusively on thousands of reel jobs -- springs, level winds, handles, knobs, any exterior moving parts, some interior where grease is not a good idea, shafts, spools, and sometimes bearings.

I have nothing to do with the company -- just wanted to share.

It just works very well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

Quote from: RowdyW on October 02, 2020, 02:56:43 PM
Get the best TS 301 or TS 321. 301 has a cleaner in it but 321 is prefered. Just a drop will do ya.

A little DAB WILL DO YOU
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.