Vom Hofe 858

Started by Reeltyme, October 04, 2020, 08:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

Folks, (Guys and Gals), Does anyone have any information on a Vom Hofe, model 858, 6/0 size? I have searched and can't find out anything about the 858. Does it have a different name or is it referred to by something other than 858? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reeltyme,
Randy McConnell

oc1

JVH or EVH?  Is it a raised pillar reel?  There was a 6/0 in the JVH B-Ocean series.  Many were marked with the reel size, but no model number at all.
-steve

Reeltyme

Steve, EVH. Along the lines of the 621 series. Pictures below. Marks as seen, no other numbers.
Thanks,
Randy

philaroman

here's a 6/0 709...   same pat. yr.

https://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=16249

I'm thinkin' 709 & 858 are individual serial# -- not, model#

Reeltyme

Hum,,, very close for sure! The 2 face plate switches vs. the 1 face plate switch is a little confusing. On mine as I assume is the same on the other reel, the 1 switch works the anti-reverse pop up plug. The other switch, on mine, seems to operate an audible ratchet on the the reel retrieve. Could just be a different year of production though. Aside from that, the 2 reels are almost identical. So possibly an early 501?

philaroman

going by the VERY distinctive foot/stand -- looks like your reel
all I gleaned was that  EVH 6/0 had variations over 15 yrs.;
'96-pat. & '02-pat. caps got used up in later years
considering that particular "96" & "02" were well over a century ago,
may not matter which version is older -- rather, which years had lower production #'s
...either way, your sideplate ain't cracked like his ;D

Bryan Young

that is one very interesting piece.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D