Cortez Tuna Killing Machine

Started by Maxed Out, October 05, 2020, 06:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Just got back from albacore charter trip. I brought my Cortez "99" albacore special and the deckhand stuck it on one of their nice shimano bait sticks. All the other boat rods were equipped with top of the line small Accurate lever drag reels. First half of the day was slow. Couple troll fish and maybe 15 on live bait stops. Then the 2nd half of the day we had lot more action. Our 2 best bait stops were 27, and 28. End of day total was 131 Albacore averaging 20+ pounds. We(10 clients) always split the catch evenly, so we each got 13 Albacore. I also keep track of how many I bring to gaff. This trip with the Cortez 99 I brought 23 to gaff and didn't cracker off a single fish ! Another very memorable trip.

Huge shout out to Tom for making our dreams come true !
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations on the great trip, and being the hot stick Ted!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Hardy Boy

Nice work Ted ..................................... Might be time to do another all AT Tornado trip to see if the weather and fish will cooperate this time ???  If the border ever opens I can find a few Canadians to the party I'm sure.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Yowzah!  Sounds like a great day.  Congratulions Ted.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Crow

Great catch !!  And, Great equipment !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

PacRat

I'm impressed....and envious. That's a lethal reel you got there. Enjoy the spoils.

Maxed Out

Quote from: PacRat on October 06, 2020, 12:14:54 AM
I'm impressed....and envious. That's a lethal reel you got there. Enjoy the spoils.

Thanks Mike, yes the reel worked flawlessly. The under gear derlin washer made it smooth as silk, and I fished with drag at 90% most the day and this is the first trip I can say I never sawed off a fish. Even the captain was very impressed with the super smooth drag.

Forgot to mention, I got to see a gigantic mako launch way up outta the water and a big splashdown. I'd estimate it at 10-12' length. Just off the side of trolling gear and about 50yds away from us. I happened to be looking that way and saw the whole thing. One guy later reeled in a 15# tuna that back half was gone from something big taking a bite.

JoseCuervo

Some of us might have previously missed this, but where are you / where was this MaxedOut?

Thanks-

Rob

Maxed Out

Quote from: JoseCuervo on October 06, 2020, 01:24:08 AM
Some of us might have previously missed this, but where are you / where was this MaxedOut?

Thanks-

Rob

Up here we call it tuna town. AKA Westport Washington

JoseCuervo

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 06, 2020, 01:33:24 AM
Quote from: JoseCuervo on October 06, 2020, 01:24:08 AM

Thanks-

Rob

Up here we call it tuna town. AKA Westport Washington

Thanks!

One day..

Dave!!

vilters

great report. fishing custom gear that performs like that is very gratifying. Tom's stuff is top shelf. i am happy for you and envious @ the same time. if there is anything better than a wide open albacore bite, i haven't yet found it. way to go!!!!!

mhc

Nice haul Ted, looks like you had a great day. Also good to see the Maxed Out - Cortez Conversions Jigmaster doing so well catching what it was built for - albacore. At the risk of being nosey, which gears are you running in it?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Gee Ted, that as good as anyone has done for one day congrats, good memories nice story, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat