Boat tool box - show us yours

Started by Gobi King, October 06, 2020, 03:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

What you have in your boat tool kit?  Let's see yours :-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

Here is what I have till now,

the red thing is for cutting off fishing hooks if needed.

Additional items:
1. box of misc amp automotive blade fuses.
2. Jumper cable
3. socket and wrench for changing out prop (do I carry an extra prop?)
4. flares (required by law)
5. air horn
6. drift sock (should I carry 2 of them?)
Fichigan

El Pescador

Gobi!!!

Good call on the cable cutter / dikes / Diagonal Cutting Pliers.

I now carry one ANY time on saltwater for this purpose only.

Hook in finger.   

With a pair of dikes /  diagonal cutting pliers, getting the hook out just got easier.

I'm an old Boy Scout (Eagle Scout to be exact) - always be prepared.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Gobi King

Yeap, cutting off the hook makes things less painful in the wallet too. ED visit will cost $$$.
Fichigan

Crow

I've always carried a good set of "cutters' in my box, too. And, congrats on that rank, Wayne (from an old Assistant Scoutmaster) !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

Here's the yak tool kit I take.
Super glue, marine grease, duct tape. Extras;kayak "cable" line, rod leash, wheel bolt, metal skeg(rudder) pin. Broken 1/2 of giant Leatherman tool, alcohol pads for cleaning before taping or gluing or greasing, plastic ties and screwdriver-knife. The big pliers are great for not corroding( gotta watch the removable jaws, though), made outta some kinda aluminum alloy maybe. Long tapered needle-nose would be better for somea the fish I de-hook, but 1 or 2 trips and it's corrosion city with those.

Try'n make everything small and lightweight. I have many more tools in my "bucket boss" in back of my vehicle( including extras such as various fasteners) so I'm able to do repairs(even electrical)before I head out.

What's a man without tools!?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cuttyhunker

Gobi,
Take a look at the Knipex line of tools for hook cutters.  Before I retired My biz was making crab lobster and fish traps along with aquaculture cages so have cut thru billions of wire strands since the 70's when we started.  We looked at the Chinese ones you have, they lasted about 5 minutes on the shop floor, then straight to the dumpster.  Not cheap but a few twenties don't look so big when you've got a 9/0 buried in your hand. Pics from Amazon.  I carry the top ones, multiplying 8" bolt cutters
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

Gfish,
Wrap the duct tape around an old plastic "credit card" hotel key, compact and no cardboard to get wet.
Doomed from childhood

Crow

Those compound Nipex are what I carry, as well Cuttyhunker. As you say, Nipex stuff isn't cheap, but as my dear ole' Dad always said, When it comes to tools, buy the best...and only cry once !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

David Hall

Quote from: El Pescador on October 30, 2020, 04:09:24 PM
Gobi!!!

Good call on the cable cutter / dikes / Diagonal Cutting Pliers.

I now carry one ANY time on saltwater for this purpose only.

Hook in finger.   

With a pair of dikes /  diagonal cutting pliers, getting the hook out just got easier.

I'm an old Boy Scout (Eagle Scout to be exact) - always be prepared.

Wayne
You might try cutting a few of the size hooks you will be carrying just to make sure the cutters you choose are up to the task.  Don't ask me how I know this, you can thank me later.

David Hall

Same here those little 8" suckers will cut through just about anything.

Gfish

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on November 02, 2020, 09:35:53 PM
Gfish,
Wrap the duct tape around an old plastic "credit card" hotel key, compact and no cardboard to get wet.

10-4, thanks, good idea.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gobi King

Good point gentlemen,
I will do a quick test today.

HRC rating, hmm, I had to look it up to see what it meant,
wow,
https://toolslaboratory.com/bolt-cutters-with-maximum-cutting-capacity/

So, my 3x or stainless 7/0 hooks are biggest I use.
What is harder when it comes to hooks?
Fichigan

oc1

That's it.  I'm not reading this thread any more.  Scrolling past that photo makes my thumb hurt.
-steve

Gobi King

I old an ol rusty hook I probably fished it in Dauphin Island, the bolt cutter cut it with ease but it did leave a small dent on the cutting surface.

I would say the hook was bit larger than 1 penny wide.
Fichigan