HOW DO YOU HOOK LIVE BAIT (WHERE ON THE FISH)

Started by Dominick, December 21, 2011, 05:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qcguy4198

Wallacewt....
Have you ever used the "Straw" method to troll a dead ballyhoo...???
Wonder what you might see if in addition to the hook and straw, a chin wt. was wired into place under the gills...???
I'm too far North in Florida to be able to get live 'hoos. We troll dead ones a lot, and I'm always looking for simpler, quicker rigging ideas.
Thanks for your contribution.

wallacewt

not for dead baits.mouth and gills have to be closed,beak trimmed.
but i have never tried!
the beauty of the straw,1 person can do it by himself while the boat is moving forward
the button is best with 2 people,good for casting tough baits,they dont fly off the hook

qcguy4198

Wiring in the "chin weight" would take care of the mouth and gills. Probably need to clip off the pectoral fins and remove the eyes. Downside might be a lot of short-strike bite offs.
Just pondering options around here while it's too cold and rough to get offshore.  :'(

LTM

Hey Dominick,

Saw this vid on youtube recently which goes over all the technicques mentioned and are the ways I hook fish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz7GiL3yCXQ&list=UUpZbNw3dm_1DX11oFV2Khng&index=4&feature=plcp

Hope this helps, it's also excellent prep for Long Range fishing (I used to have a video cassette  ;D similar to this)

Leo

Dominick

Thanks Leo:  The visual always helps.  dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Dominick on December 21, 2011, 05:46:51 PMI would like some information about hooking live bait.

Better LATE, than NEVER . . . See the ATTACHMENT below . . . ENJOY ! ! !

Dominick

Thanks Dave.  We live bait Sardinas in Cabo and the Mexicans always use the nostril hook up.  I once read in WON that there were ways to direct the way the fish swims.  Your attachment does exactly that.  Thanks.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

Sardines:  Sideways through the nostrils or butt hook to get it to swim deeper.
Anchovies:  Collar hook for flylining or up through jaw/nose if using a dropper loop/sliding sinker.

If you pluck out an eyeball the bait will swim in the direction of the missing eye!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tunacious

Quote from: MarkT on June 05, 2015, 05:34:50 PM
Sardines:  Sideways through the nostrils or butt hook to get it to swim deeper.
Anchovies:  Collar hook for flylining or up through jaw/nose if using a dropper loop/sliding sinker.

If you pluck out an eyeball the bait will swim in the direction of the missing eye!

x2

I'm going to begin shoulder hooking sardines and see how that works for me. The dine will look "different" (swimming differently) from all the nose hooked ones (which is usually the #1 method). It will also be pulling line rather than pushing line (if nose hooked). The hook is also on top of the bait, hidden from the pelagics attacking from beneath the dine. This method is also supposed to work well on a long soak; if winding in the dine it will imitate a swimming motion which can get you bit; it's also easier to jerk out the hook if you want to replace the dine. Doing so, especially on a long soak, can prevent one from getting in tangles while winding in only a hook.

Supposedly, you can also collar hook a dine. I may try this also. Doing something different than the 20 other folks on the boat can end up being a good thing.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Dominick on June 05, 2015, 05:05:37 PM
Thanks Dave.  We live bait Sardinas in Cabo and the Mexicans always use the nostril hook up.  I once read in WON that there were ways to direct the way the fish swims.  Your attachment does exactly that.  Thanks.  Dominick

Anytime, Dominick . . .

Tight Lines ! ! !

OldSchool

Put Elastic band onto circle hook and twist up,thread elastic band through the nostrils or eyes with a bait needle and twist up then remove off bait hook onto the circle. The elastic band is threaded through the fish and holds the circle hook in front of the fishes nose. 

conchydong

Usually I am drifting when fishing live baits. If I am flying the kite I will hook them just in front of the dorsal fin. Bigger baits will get bridled.
Usually the flat line or weighted baits will get hooked through the nose if using smaller baits and hooks. Larger baits will also get bridled through the eye sockets. If fishing for Kingfish or Wahoo a second stinger or trap hook will be used also, sometimes planted in the body, and sometimes free swinging.

Reel 224

Some good info on hooking live bait, I not so sure I would practice the method of laying my rod on the rail when fight a big fish. Ive had a rod snap trying to horse a Strip Bass over a rail and that is nothing compared to those Tuna.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Superhook

I use two hooks.First one through the bottom jaw and up through the nose and the 2nd between dorsal and tail , high up. Some fish go for the head and others the tail end so you get more hook ups and less half mutilated bait .

hrogers

This is a very interesting topic. I'm not sure if your people also using the non return clip
You cast in without bait - only the sinker - You get more distance like this and then you clip on the live bait.
The non return clip can only go forward and the fish can not swim back.
We used this method here in South Africa.
Here is pictures to demonstrate

Henry