v40 v50 drag spring washer question

Started by encinoman, October 07, 2020, 06:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

encinoman

Hello everyone, new here and I can't believe the wealth of information you all share here. Anyways, I have a a v40 and a v50 that both had their drag spring washers fail and I cant seem to find replacements for them anywhere. Does anyone know where I can source those, or if there are similar washers that would suffice?

Bryan Young

It's possible you can locate them from McMasterCarr.com.

You will need to know the ID, OD, height, and thickness, then find something close.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mrwilson99

David

Hoochrip

Had to modify a penn washer and have had no issues after. Next problem with these reels will be inner spool bearing rusting then grinding issues on 2 reels same problems. Love the V40 size and worked great on a 45# bluefin and lots of cod and pollock in NE. These issues should be a problem with 15 to 20 trips. Just need ceramic to solve issues.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Hoochrip on January 14, 2021, 10:51:23 PM
Had to modify a penn washer and have had no issues after. Next problem with these reels will be inner spool bearing rusting then grinding issues on 2 reels same problems. Love the V40 size and worked great on a 45# bluefin and lots of cod and pollock in NE. These issues should be a problem with 15 to 20 trips. Just need ceramic to solve issues.

You might crush the ceramic bearings on high drag loads.

Simple regular maintenance (ie drop of oil) should keep them quite happy. Grease if spool speed not an issue for your fishing.