Black Crinkle Finish

Started by Balvar24, August 13, 2020, 09:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

Fred, Others,

How are you guys replicating the Black Crinkle finish on your restores?  I've got another project coming up (someday) and was wondering how to get a similar finish.

foakes

I use VHT Black Flat Wrinkle spray paint --

Clean the parts to be painted

Sand down any loose paint

Blow it off

Apply the paint after taping off areas that should not be painted

Bake in the paint oven for 25 minutes at 200 degrees

Let the parts set for 30 minutes after removing from the oven

Assemble the reel

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

basenjib123

Fred, you go right over the old paint then?  any primer, etc?  or do you just knock off any lose paint and go over the remaining paint without any more prep?  

Wompus Cat

Fred is there a place to buy this cheaper than 19 bux a can ?
This place here
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

RowdyW

It's available at home improvement stores, auto parts stores, etc. for about $6-$7 a rattle can.      Rudy

oc1

There are some Rustoleum products.  But, I don't think paint is the place to scrimp on cost.  The time to do the job is worth a whole lot more than the paint itself.
-steve

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Quote from: RowdyW on October 23, 2020, 02:29:56 AM
It's available at home improvement stores, auto parts stores, etc. for about $6-$7 a rattle can.      Rudy
THanks Rowdy!
Autozone has it in my area
!!!!CHEAP!!!

Back in the Day we use to paint Lacquer  on then Enamel over it to get that effect.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

RowdyW

I think it is the opposite. Lacquer on top of enamel crinckles. That's why you have to apply a sealer on enamel to be able to apply lacquer over it.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 23, 2020, 12:29:06 AM
Fred is there a place to buy this cheaper than 19 bux a can ?
This place here

There are lots of places, just Interwebby Search it. If you buy it over the web you'll have the added cost of shipping, though.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)