Bronze whaler shark

Started by Sharkb8, October 10, 2020, 01:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkb8

I went at a adelaide beach Friday night with some guys from work .the first thing we caught was a black ray about 60lbs on a jigmaster 500 and then we got the bronze whaler shark on the 9/0 and a rod I built which I had for  nearly 30years  now and still going strong. Great night had by all.

Kim

Cor

Shark must have given you a good pull!   Nice.

I saw some huge Bronzies in WA few years ago.   Plenty of them here as well, but not the size and quantity as in OZ.

At one point we had to give up fishing as the Bronzies took each and every fish.   I don't fish for shark, just regard them as a big nuisance tax collector!   

Another point that some may find interesting, just the  short version of the story!    Bronzies if around are worse then seals and take every hooked fish within their reach.   However, once we found a shoal of Bronzies happily feeding on sardine together with Yellowtail.    This also happens with seals, they are somehow cooperating or leaving one another alone to all benefit from the feast.     That day we caught 10 or 12 Yellowtail in quick succession with many sharks showing little or no interest in the hooked Yellowtail.

Photo taken here and result of a Bronze whaler shark ;D

PS    I just added the photo that preceded the previous one.   Was taken Rod in one hand and camera in other.
Cornelis

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

MarkT

There are a lot of them at the Alijos Rocks! I lost 3 Wahoo to them last year and a lot of Wahoo were lost to them this year too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Thanks Kim, good report, must be very rewarding to catch a large specimen, on a rod you built, thanks for the pics.
    Cor thanks for your pic of the fish chopped of by a shark, just try & cut through a fish that size, & see how hard it is, but a shark raps his jaws over it & with one head shake, & its chopped right of, what power ay, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

whalebreath

I saw a Bronzie that size on the Great Astrolabe Reef near Kadavu in Fiji-a very chilling appearance they have even in broad daylight.

Sharkb8

Cor be watching some videos of shark fishing in south Africa looks like some good fishing there and the long rods they use are totally different to what I seen everyone else use .Them cob you get there looks a lot like the mulloway we get here but bigger. Thanks Don it's always good to catch fish on something you have made. The female bronzie this time of the year are big and fat full of pups. I released it as quickly and it swam off strong.

Kim

oc1

That's a whopper to remember.  I have no experience with bronze whalers, but it looks like an overgrown blacktip.
-steve

CapeFish

Great bronzie, did you measure it by any chance? I think the biggest one caught here on Cape Town and in fact our record measured out at an equivalent of about 220kg. Yes we cast or slide our baits out hence the long rods. Drones becoming popular though but the long rods persist.

Sharkb8

Didn't measure it most probably around 10ft and under 200kg I think the Australian record is about 378kg

Benni3

That's a big shark and on a 500 great job man,,,,,, ;D

Sharkb8

Benni I got the ray on the 500 the shark was on a 9/0  ;D

Kim

Benni3

Quote from: Sharkb8 on October 14, 2020, 05:47:55 AM
Benni I got the ray on the 500 the shark was on a 9/0  ;D

Kim
very impressive,,,, ;) the 9/0 is my favorite,,,,,, ;D