ABU Record 2200

Started by fernandoricagno, October 12, 2020, 02:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fernandoricagno

I received an ABU Record 2200 from a relative of my father together with a metal fishing rod True Temper Champion
Could you please tell me how can I adjust it to  use ? .
How should I adjust the left and right knobs ?  What to take into consideration ?
It has been in a box for 30 years and surely needs cleaning and greased
Could you help me ?
Thanks in advance

oc1

Man, those are sweet reels.  Still pricy too.

Center the spool in the middle with the knobs on the left and right sideplates.  Never overtighten them or put much pressure on the spool shaft.  Leave a few thousandths inch of lateral play.  Leave just enough so you can hear it tick/click back and forth when you try to move it.

The Record 2200 is pre-Garcia and pre-Ambassadeur so there is no centrifugal braking.  They have a friction brake that is adjusted with the lower knob on the tail plate.  Keep reducing the braking pressure until the reel is too "hot" and you can no longer avoid backlashes by thumbing.  On mine, I turned off the friction brake and glued four stacks of 1/4 inch diameter magnets on the tail plate for braking.

The spool is light and compact with vertical flanges (the first time I had seen that).  I rebuilt the cork arbor to make it larger, but it could have been removed all together for more line capacity.  As far as I can tell, they are completely braid-friendly so you should have more than enough capacity with the stock arbor..

It has brass bushings and no levelwind to slow it down.  I think the Record will cast as well as any spinner or modern baitcasting reel once it's dialed in.  Because of the size, the 2200 is also one of the easiest-to-palm round reels out there.  It is much more comfortable than an the Ambassadeur round reels and it is easy to lay the line by hand so you will not miss the levelwind.

The clutch is much simpler than the later Ambassadeurs, but it seems reliable and easy to maintain.

Am showing you mine, so let's see yours.  Would also like to see than metal rod.  I suspect the outfit is late 1940's

-steve

fernandoricagno

Hello , thanks for the answer .
The brake is  slightly different , I think it should have been repaired
The rod has some identification
TRUE TEMPER CHAMPION
Pat Nº80990
BHZ
Pat Nº 1755159

The AMERICAN FORK & MOE CO.
GENEVA, OHIO
SPEEDLOCK
Pat Nº 1534674

fernandoricagno

some more pictures

fernandoricagno

some more pictures .

oc1

Wow.  Solid steel.  That predates the more common True Temper tubular steel.  TT had some of the best tubular steel but they were soon replaced by fiberglass.

Yeah, your brake is missing.  You might try the magnets if you are going to give it some serious use.  You can use the spool tension knobs for braking but won't get much distance.
-s

Midway Tommy

Great combo!  8)

The rod & handle are actually American Fork & Hoe Co founded in 1902 & then True Temper in 1949. That rod & handle would be an early True Temper example. You might want to do some research as it has a great and interesting history!

Steve did a thread on the ABU 2200 a couple of years ago but for some reason the photos went AOL!  :o  ???  :(

I'm not into conventionals but if it were mine I would display the combo on wall. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 12, 2020, 07:18:10 PM
for some reason the photos went
Yeah, Microsoft Expressions web software went ka-put and my life is in chaos.  

Tommy's right, it would look good on the wall.  You'd soon have an inflamed carpel tunnel from trying to fish with it
-s

fernandoricagno

Hi ,,, how did you do this ,,,  and how do they work ????

Thanks again

Quote from: oc1 on October 12, 2020, 07:43:52 AM
Man, those are sweet reels.  Still pricy too.

On mine, I turned off the friction brake and glued four stacks of 1/4 inch diameter magnets on the tail plate for braking.

-steve

oc1

In the photo of inside the tail plate above.  I screwed up and said four stacks.  It is actually only three and they are 1/4 inch diameter and 1/4 inch tall neodymium magnets from K&J magnetics.  That's what it took for throwing 3/8 ounce jigs on a ten foot rod.  You have to keep playing with the size and number of magnets until it casts the way you want it to.  The trick is to have various sizes of magnets so you can find the right combination.

It looks like I glued then in with five-minute epoxy, but I wouldn't do it that way today.  The polarities are alternating and they were probably clamped with clothes pins while the epoxy dried.  
-s