daiwa saltist 30th by steggs

Started by alantani, April 06, 2009, 03:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

here's a link to the original post.  these guys are hilarious!  http://www.sydneyangler.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=13180

Quote from: Steggs01;123503With a bit of time on my hands I was asked by a fellow S.A. friend to conduct a service on his reel. (Clean,Lube and Grease).

This was my first Saltist 30TH, but most over heads are the same. This wasnt  much different from any of the others, except for the ratchet on the star drag.

Now I have about 12 reels serviced in 2 weeks. This is quite rewarding and the more you pull apart the easier it gets. Got earn a little money sitting on my ####.

A very nice reel, but lets see whats inside.

First thing to do is open the side plate and view the side of the reel and plate:

A small amount of salt on the inside of the reel

Slight amount of corrosion

Time to dis assemble and refurbish/clean and apply a protective coating.

Don't forget the small bearing and repack with grease.

Now for a cleaned side plate, cleaned inside of reel, lubricant applied and protective covering.

Now do the reverse and replace it back on the frame. Don't forget the bearing and make sure you dont damage the ratchet. Grease and secure side plate.

Now for the working side of the reel.

Undo the handle and remove star drag.

Be careful not to loose any of the washers and the ratchet which is on the star drag.

Undo screws and remove cover side plate to reveal the workings of the real.

Remove drag system and check for damage. An up grade is availible.

Remove ratchet and clean, grease and apply lubricant.

Now clean other side plate and apply grease and lubricant to the different mechanism's.

Make sure that you don't block these three holes. This allows for the reel to drain if immersed/dropped in water.

Put it all back together ... Sorry no pic's. All new to writing up reel reports.

Apply star drag, making sure correct order and ratchet in star drag is correct and working. Wind the star drag down so that the handle can be replaced.

Dis assemble the handle grip and remove shaft screw to grease up. (Up-grade available)

Re-essemble and now you have a almost new reel again ready to be flogged.

Ready for pick-up.

Steggs

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

barkley1956

Can anybody tell me why I cannot see the pictures here or on the link provided?

alantani

likely the website that hosted the photos has shut down.  that happened to the photos in my earliest tutorials.  i actually had to take over the photos and move them over to godaddy or i was going to lose them all. i was going to have to pay several thousand dollars for someone to do the work, but stephan came to our rescue!  so it could be temporary or permanent.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JNP

Hi Alan,I keep your tutorials in pdf form.Its easy and safe.John