Yard Sale & eBay Penn Servicing and Restorations

Started by foakes, October 13, 2020, 04:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Earlier this year, after 40+ years of working on all types of fishing reels — I decided to specialize in the restoration, building, and servicing of quality vintage spinning reels.  DAM Quick, Penn, ABU/Zebco Cardinals, and Mitchell's.

The backlog of unfinished reels — not counting new builds for folks — was at 89 as of yesterday.

A good client for the last 20+ years likes to go to yard sales — as well as buy Penn conventional reels from eBay.

So he sent me 12 to restore  and set up for salt-water use.

So, since we are back from evacuation — and close to normal except for the Pandemic deal — I decided now was a good time to start on the backlog of reel jobs.

I also decided, in honor of Sal, who taught me so much directly and indirectly — to start on the Penn Conventionals yesterday.  I finished them up this morning.  Pretty cruddy reels inside and out — but with serious cleaning, full disassembles, buffing  and shining all internals, new drags, Cal's drag grease, Yamaha Marine lube, synthetic oil, replacing missing parts, and some upgrades — they turned out pretty well.

Here are the first (6) — 2 Jigmaster 500's, 2 Jigmaster 501's, 3/0 112H Senator, and a 4/0 113H Senator.

Free spool is close to a minute or more on each one — some would not even crank over easily before cracking them open.

Thank You, Sal — for the instruction, inspiration, and help — over the years...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Fred, holy catz! Incredible job... and a fitting tribute to the memory of Alto Mare, whose unmatched skill brought back countless numbers of these neglected gems to their original glory. Bravo!   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

reelrepair123

way to go FRED, those reels are in good hands, you do top notch service , they are going to work great thanks to you.   yes  our friend  SAL  ,the master inspired us all, a great loss for his family and our family, take care  FRED, you and your wife   be well and safe.   harryk

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Dominick

Fred, that third photo of the 6 reels laid out and ready to should be photo of the month.  Nice work as usual.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Here are 5 1/2 more ready to go after servicing and restoring.

The half was just a head plate change out with new drags and clean up — for a change out when fishing, if needed.

The others are a couple of 501's, a black 4/0 Senator, a 4/0 Senator 113H2, and an old Shimano TR 2000 Lever Drag Charter Special.

He is sending 9 more later this week.

Sure takes a toll on the lacquer thinner supply at $20 a gallon.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ruffy

Awesome work Fred! You and your friend have saved a dozen classic reels from neglect, that is for sure!

Cheers,
Andrew