Line spooler Trilene HD-11 Berkeley

Started by Phishface, October 13, 2020, 11:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phishface

Not sure where to post this question:

I bought a Trilene HD-11 line spooler from a fishing buddy yesterday, was really rusty and in need of some love so I cleaned it up.
seems to work well. I read a post on this forum from foakes from 2014, it had some great advise in terms of safety using this type of machine, Thank you.
I'm still unsure how to use this machine, I would love to get an instruction manual so I actually can learn how to use this line winder.
Do any of you know where or how I can obtain a manual for the HD-11 machine?

Thank you.

foakes

I think if you look up Triangle Line Metering Machines — then give them a call — they should be able to provide information on your HDll.

These are powerful machines that can take off a finger, or break an eyeball in a nano-second — use gloves, eye protection, caution, and common sense. 

I have 4 line winders — and the HDll is a great addition to a reel shop.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Phishface

Yes! thank you again for emphasizing safety Fred, that is my biggest concern, but I also am really looking forward to spooling my own reels with line.
I'll look up Triangle and give them a call. 

Jerome.

David Hall

Exact same machine I have and zi use it a lot.  Fred is correct in that this is one powerful little tool.  It's pretty straight forward.  Lock your reel into the reel set and set the height of the drive arm at the center of the reel handle nut.  Load your line spool onto the feed side, I didn't like mine so I removed that part from the machine and bought something called the "Bees Knees" it has bearings and a clutch tension knob so I can just dial in the resistance I want to load line with. 
There's a forward and reverse switch on the end and a foot pedal.  Triangle was a lot of help but their line counter for this model was real cheesy and not worth the money, broke after less than a dozen uses. But I do like the machine itself.

Tiddlerbasher

I do not like gloves near rapidly spinning powerful devices so - I modified an old rod tip (with sic insert) to guide the line onto the reel. This way the only friction is on the drag stack not on the line ;). That's assuming you have a drag stack. I consider the drag to be one of the best options I built into my line winder. One hand controls speed the other is the level lay. No hands where they can get hurt ;)

jurelometer

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on October 14, 2020, 10:05:11 AM
I do not like gloves near rapidly spinning powerful devices so - I modified an old rod tip (with sic insert) to guide the line onto the reel. This way the only friction is on the drag stack not on the line ;). That's assuming you have a drag stack. I consider the drag to be one of the best options I built into my line winder. One hand controls speed the other is the level lay. No hands where they can get hurt ;)

THIS^^^^^^ !!!!!

We actually have a sense of where our body parts are in space without seeing them.  This is part of how we protect ourselves from machinery without even noticing.  But the tips of glove fingers slightly extend beyond the fingertip, and there is no sense of touch at this tip.  The glove tips catch easily and are pulled into  rotating gear.  You won't notice or feel a thing until it is too late.   A big machine like a metal lathe your can kill you, but even a small machine will give you broken hands, fingers, and/or something called a degloving injury where the skin and attached tissue coming off your hand like a glove.   If you look up degloving injury on the Internet, make sure that you have photos disabled.  It is gruesome.

Part of the safety training class  that I had to go through to use metalworking machinery included a rule of absolutely no gloves when using rotating machinery.  The instructor had no shortage of horror stories, and his "favorite" was a detailed description of degloving.   Blech.

Gloves inherently make us feel safer, even in situations where they actually make things worse.  There was always a knucklehead or two that got kicked out because they refused to follow the no glove rule.

I keep a couple chunks of that thick unfinished leather (forgot what it is called) around the workbench.  A little pad is useful for things like putting friction on a filler spool while filling line, but also for stuff like protecting metal parts from scratches from vice jaws or clamps. Comes in handy all the time.  A leather pad is better than a glove, and a drag device on the spool is better than a pad.

The line guide tool is a good idea as well.

-J

foakes

I don't have drag control on my line winders —

The glove on only my left hand is used to apply some back pressure on the outside EDGE of the supply line spool.

A simple line guide is used to guide the line back and forth for even line lay — in my right hand.

Of course, the speed of the motor is determined by the foot pedal.

I have 2 LW's for large reels — and two for just spinner spools.  All are Berkley's.  But I never use the smaller spinner ones anymore for spooling spinners.  Always do this by hand.  For me, it turns out better — and is simple and quick.

The glove is only used on large Conventionals with the HDll — and then ONLY on the outside edge of the supply spool.

Just protects from friction burns.

It pays to be careful and also experienced — but many times on the Board, I am careful to not offer ideas that may end up hurting someone by giving them a false sense of security.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Phishface

Thank you all, I love this forum, you guys are the absolute best.
David Hall, I just bought a Bees Knees spool holder and tensioner to replace the the one on the HD-11 Thank you, what a great suggestion, it will be a hell of an upgrade to what already looks like a fantastic machine.
 Gloves are never my first choice unless I'm going to get burnt (like welding) I promise I'll take it slow and figure out the safe efficient way to use this machine, I promise.

You guys are cool.

Jerome.

David Hall

Quote from: Phishface on October 14, 2020, 08:11:08 PM
Thank you all, I love this forum, you guys are the absolute best.
David Hall, I just bought a Bees Knees spool holder and tensioner to replace the the one on the HD-11 Thank you, what a great suggestion, it will be a hell of an upgrade to what already looks like a fantastic machine.
 Gloves are never my first choice unless I'm going to get burnt (like welding) I promise I'll take it slow and figure out the safe efficient way to use this machine, I promise.

You guys are cool.

Jerome.

Just be cautious when you start it up, the t-bar that drives your reel handle during spooling can fly out if you reverse direction.  I wrapped a bit of stainless safety wire to keep it in and also use a zip tie to secure it to the reel handle.
I can't stress enough this motor is more powerful than you might imagine.  Get to know it.

Phishface

Well noted David Hall, you guys have scared me to death, caution will be my middle name.

Thank you again.

Jerome.

Phishface

Hi Dave Hall:

My My Bees Knees Reel Spooler has arrived. How did you mount yours to your HD-11?
Do you have any pictures??

Thanks,

Jerome.

byfly

Simple caution is the first rule for any spooling device!

I run a fishing department at a major retailer (not Bass Pro) and operate a HD140 commercial size machine five days a week. Myself, I normally spool around 2-3,000 yards per day. I am one of three associates doing it every business day.

HD machines by Triangle Sport are extremely powerful!

These machines require a high degree of caution to operate. There are many nuances to be experienced and impressed on ones mind when spooling the many types and sizes of reels.

I attempt to teach each new associates the best practices but still run into new scenarios. It's simply an issue of individual dexterity.

Personally, I avoid using gloves, rags or other items around these machines. Simply my bare hand has proven the best for me.

A peripheral fishing personality living on the edge of the fabled Florida Everglades

foakes

I have always used a leather glove on my left hand — to apply a little back pressure on the supply spool.

Just touching the outside of the supply spool — never inside or close to the line.

No glove on my right hand.

Having used, and still use extensively all types of stationary table saws, bandsaws, jigsaws, router tables, shapers, lathes, jointers, drill,presses, and other power equipment in my wood shop — I never use gloves or wear loose clothing.  Too much respect for the power and danger of these machines.  In the metal and machine shop next door, the same holds true.

No gloves around power equipment.

Caution and common sense need to always be front and center.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Fred I will rarely, if ever, disagree with you BUT gloves near any powerful rotating machinery is a NO NO. I will not use a glove on a spooling machine. Fit a drag device that doesn't involve a 'HAND', i.e. set it and forget it. Any fast powerful machine can chew your hand (or worse) in an eye blink. A drag system is an easy upgrade for any line spooler. We do it on our reels don't we :-\

handi2

I have the Triangle HD 140. It is super powerful. It has to be when spooling braid on large reels. I have spooled a 20/0 size newer Everol reel. That thing was huge. I surely don't use gloves and I do it sitting down. The line winder has its own braking system and a bearing supported levelwind wheel with a handle off to the side. No hands near anything..!

Just be careful. You will get used to it easily. Be careful spooling reels. Spools can expand and ruin a reel quickly. I don't use it to spool spinning reels. I use another device to hold the spool with friction. The reason I don't use an electric winder on these reels is that the reel will put the line on the way it wants too. The way it will be when you're fishing.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL