Okuma Cold water 303D transmission gear

Started by retiredandfishing, October 14, 2020, 04:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Got two Okuma cold waters in the shop the other day.  One 303 D and one 203 D, both brand new.  Neither the level wind nor the line counter were working.  First suspicion was the transmission gear. Took them out and found each had inset gear splines in that there seems to be a recess on the edge of the outer part of each gear that is not as high as the rest of the gear.  So first thought it had stripped the splines away in that area but upon putting them under a magnifying glass found they appear to be made that way.

So, I put them back together and really tightened the screws down on side plate containing the gears.  Then backed off on the cast control knob.  They both started working just fine.  I put a large weight on the 303D and cast it several times to simulate a load on it.  No problem were encountered.  I did find the cast control knob cranked so tight on the 303D I had to use pliers to get it loose. 

Question is has anyone every seen this part before?  It's Key number is 707.  Part number 17070004, nomenclature is: transmission gear. This part is from the 303D but the 203D has the same set up.  Can anyone verify if this gear is supposed to be inset this way? If the splines are stripped away then I'll order new ones.  If they are designed that way I'll give them back to the customer.  Just don't want to give them back and have them strip out again under use if I made a mistake about them. 

Any help you can be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Bryan Young

I'm sorry. I cannot help.

I know in other reels with line counters, the gears are very shallow so that it slips if anything gets bound up and out of alignment to prevent damage. But without seeing, it's hard to tell.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

retiredandfishing

Maybe We Can Fix It

Were you able to get this one figured out?  May be too late to offer help but if you send me or post a pic I might be able to help out.

-Scott
"Maybe We Can Fix It" Reel Repair
Scott Rodriguez
Owner/Operator
Factory Trained Technician

maybewecanfixit@gmail.com

Instagram: @maybewecanfixit_reelrepair

Website Coming Soon!!

Lunker Larry

I do these reels all the time. I have no idea what you are referring to. A picture would help.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

retiredandfishing

Sorry for the very late answer on this.  I did get this fixed.  Turns out the left side plate had some small buildup area's of plastic on it where it mates to the frame, this caused the gears not to mesh deep enough with their mating gears and also caused the line counter not to function.  By cleaning up the side plate mating service as well as that of the frame, then firmly screwing the screws in, I got the reel to function correctly.  I figure something went wrong in the factory that went undetected  and got through the QA inspections somehow.

Thanks, Steve

Lunker Larry

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?