Replacing a bail wire

Started by JasonGotaProblem, October 14, 2020, 03:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

It seems I tend to wonder about specific questions about things that involve very common terms, because I always search first but never seem to find what I'm looking for.

I noticed that a lot of bail wires are sold without the piece for the side opposite the line roller, suggesting that we'd reuse the part it connects to on that side. From pictures it seems most replacement wires come with that end of the wire bent and seemingly already crimped. But how does one remove the existing wire and install the new one?

I realize I'm a moron (my wife reminds me when i forget), but for the life of me I can't figure out how that would be removed without cutting it, which means I damn sure don't know how the new one would be installed. And i can't find a tutorial anywhere. Which is weird because it seems like a common part to have to replace.

Note: the parts for the penn reel I'm interested in replacing the bail on come with the wire already attached to the screw, but many do not. This leads me to think there's a way to remove it from the screw. Am i talking crazy here?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Since there are so many different versions and applications of bail installations specific make & model information, and more importantly photos of the example, would sure help in giving advice and answering your question.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

I have an 8500SS that I've been building (I've posted a lot about it, it's nice and shiny). I hate how long and goofy the bail wire is because it rubs my index finger on rotation using my normal grip, and also I want bearings on the line roller. Penn made an upgrade kit with bearings but its long out of production and stock.
I have a 750SSm that I've been using for random parts. It has line roller bearings, and the wire is slightly shorter than the wire on my 8500SS (750SSm is longer than the 7500SS wire), but still just barely long enough to clear the spool at its highest point. But the side opposite the line roller attaches to the rotor differently than it does on the 8500SS. So in order to make it fit I would have to either remove the wire from the mounting point and keep the mount from the 8500, or drill out the mount on the 750 to accommodate a screw of the size used on the 8500. I'd choose the first option as the easier less destructive path.

I cannot just steal the line roller and bearings from the 750 because the shaft it rides on is a hair wider on the 8500. That would have been my first choice. I've considered using sand paper to thin the shaft so the bearings fit, but that's not my first choice. Will take pics when I get home.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.